Power options for older Glastron

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by modela, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Increased Torque has more to do with Acceleration than Prop Pitch change.

If you were able to do 46 with 200 HP, You'll get to about 53 with 270HP or 60 with 335 HP.

53 mph just means Higher rpm with same Prop. 60 mph, probably more pitch.

2. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

It is nice to be able to see what you have done and how it worked out right down to the cam selection. Someone earlier in another forum suggested I change to a 351 for what they called "legitimate horsepower" probably relating to the increase in torque that the stroke provides. Out of curiosity why did you stick with the 302? I did because I didn't want to increase weight and complexity.

It will be interesting to see what the performance ends up. I can say that this has been a very interesting project and a good learning experience for me. The fuel injection has also had its challenges and I have rounded up most of the components needed.

I figure that I can always drop back to carburetion if I have to.

Jim

3. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

I'm a little confused as to how only a cam change can gain over a 100 lb-ft of torque in a 302. Seems a bit optimistic. Those would be big torque numbers for a 351.

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Jim,

You're correct about increased Torque with Added Stroke. I went halfway there with my Engine, 3.25 Stroke (327cu in). Could have gone "All the Way" to 342 or 347 cu in. Since increase would have resulted in only 20 ft-lb (NO Change in HP)with undesireable Ring Location over Wrist Pin, I decided the 3.25 Stroke was optimum for the 302 block.

The 351 is Heavier and Taller requiring changes to my Boat which I didn't want to do.
    Besides It's a lot of Fun "Blowing Past" the 350 Crowd.

A Whole Lot More than a Cam change accounts for my numbers, which are varified. As stated earlier, In a 302, Cam change alone accounts for only a 30 Ft-Lb change in Torque. Keep in mind, these are "NOT Rear Wheel Numbers", but At the Flywheel.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  5. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

I read about some of that in a stroked 302 book about the rings being over the wrist pin. The books states that in stroking that you will shorten the engine life and also was not encouraging about rings over the wrist pin. I think that they were saying that stock engines are really aimed at longevity and reliability to the detriment of performance. Having the rings over the wrist pin does sound a bit weird or at least stretching it. Have you done quite a bit of this kind of work in the past?

I am still accumulating parts (I am going to need a 50 oz flywheel) for the new engine and getting my shop organized at present.

Have a happy holiday season.

Jim

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Jim,

Adding Power has the potential for shortening Engine Life, Stroked or Stock. My Motor is run less than 50 Hrs/ year. Yes, I have been rebuilding Engines on and off, for some time. In the last 15 - 20 years, probably have Done 15 or more Ford Engines, 289s, 302s (mostly) and 351s, both W and C engines.

My Engine uses a 5.315 in. Connecting Rod rather than 5.400 in. in order to keep the Wrist Pin away from the Lower Ring.
    The rotating assem. Has been Balanced to within 2 grams and uses a 28 OZ. External Balance.

I have to disagree with The statements about performance, 302,s are an Excellent Motor in Stock Displacement as well as modified displacement. Don't know much about the New Over Hd Cam motors, but the 302 block can produce More HP/Torque per cu.in than Anything Ford Produced.
    ( A 347 cu in, 5.0, with the same cam etc. will produce more power than a 351W)

A very Merry Christmas to You Jim

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.