Power options for older Glastron

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by modela, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Gonzo,
    As I understand it, the Explorer(High Torque) HO cam was developed in the late 1990,s for use in the Ford Explorer only.
    Specs are:

Valve Lift .422 I , .448 E

Specs @ .050 lift

IVO -25 deg BTDC, IVC 31 deg ABDC Duration 186 deg

EVO 32 deg BBDC, EVC -15 deg ATDC Duration 197 deg

Lobe Centers 115.8 deg, Valve overlap -40 deg.

Jim,
    I see no reason why you couldn't use the STD. 5.0 Truck injection, which, by the way is larger than the std Mustang or Full sized Car.

I purchased a "New" 2000, 5.0 Block and installed the Explorer cam, together with Windsor Jr Heads and a 750CFM Edelbrock Carb.*
    Engine produced over 300HP and over 350 lb-ft Torque from 1500 - 4500rpm. I have since "opened " the 302 to 327 cu in, added Alum Hds and a Trick Flow Stage One cam with Execellent results. See:

http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-11/webletter94.html#monaco

John (jango)

* 5.0 Fords "like" alot of carburation

2. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

Thanks so much for the information. I have been pouring through the EFI manual for an OMC which uses the same manifold. From what I can tell they do not use the exhaust sensors due to the cooled manifolds. I know you can get heated sensors but am not sure that would work out so well.

In addition there does not appear to be a egr setup on the EFI. Otherwise it looks pretty much like an explorer or cobra manifold setup. I have rounded up most of the components including all of the harnesses, manifold, etc. but am still looking for some odds and ends. If all else fails I will go back to carburetion.

I looked at your site and there are some really nice wood boats. Years ago I thought about building a wood boat and got some catalogs from Glen-L. With too little time back then I gave it up and bought a fiberglass.

Jim

Attached Files:

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

4. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

You really seem to have cranked a lot out of your engine. I have a few questions for you.

My engine seems to be similar to your first engine in that it has the explorer bottom end and cam. It has GT40 heads versus your Windsor Jr. Heads and is carbureted. My baseline engine was the existing Glastron with 351 heads that was listed at 200 hp (hard to tell about torque).

What can I expect out of the new engine compared to the old? I saw that the new engine was rated at 210 hp. What am I getting out of a roller cam and the GT40 Heads?

What is the best way to accomplish more hp say with roller rockers, a new cam, carburetion, etc.? What is a good rpm range to run in for a stern drive with probably a heavier boat than yours? How much lift can you get on a new cam without getting into trouble with standard pistons?

I am probably not going to go much beyond the given Explorer bottom end and heads.

Thanks,

Jim

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Jim,

As previously stated, you,re probably looking at abt. 240HP. The GT40 Heads, while better than Std 302 do Not have the Port flow numbers of the Windsor Jr, nor as Big Intake and Exhaust Valves as well as comp Ratio. The Alum Heads,i.e. Pro Comp 190 -210, would be the next level up after the Windsor, . A 750CFM Carb is good for 10-15 Hp over 500CFM (Carb or F.I.)However 310 - 320 HP and 5000 - 5500 RPM is max for the Explorer cam.

Roller Rockers are better, lower Friction w. probably 5+ HP. You can probably go to around .500 valve lift. But this should always be checked with modeling clay.

You need to be careful with Cam selection, because of Low RPM Torque requirement in Boats. I would run your Engine at 240 HP peak, at 4800 - 5000RPM max.with minimal load (Driver & Half tank of Fuel)

Hope this Helps, John

6. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

Helps a lot. I will play this one out and see how it goes. If I get bored you gave me some ideas on where next to go on the engine. I will port the exhaust and if that seems to be a problem I might get new manifolds.

Do you run a fresh water heat exchanger system on yours?

Jim

7. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

No Heat Exchanger - Fresh water use Only (Ohio River and occasional Lake)

8. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Jim,

Got some additional Data on your Motor. If your Motor is a 1997 1/2 or later it will have the GT40P Heads.

HP/Torque with the Center Rise Exhaust Manifolds = 270 with Excellent torque of 340lb-ft @ 2000 to a max of 360 @ 3500. Looks like HP is probably about 250 w. Ported Glastron manifolds with only a 10 lb-ft decrease in Torque.

To see Head Data, clic on:

http://www.stangpro.com/html/articles/gt40p_files/gt40p1.htm

Although the HP Numbers are LESS than the Windsor Jr Heads, the Torque numbers are almost IDENTICAL.

John

9. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

Wow, that is more than I expected. Thanks for the information. I noticed that the exhaust ports were quite a bit bigger than the 351 heads on my old one. If I want to get a little more hp out of it I can put on the Center Rise Manifolds.

I was talking with the fellow that I bought the fuel injection parts from and he said that the OMC version was rated at 275 hp at the prop. Sounded to good to be true, but who knows.

Thanks,

Jim

10. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Jim,

My numbers are not an Estimate or a guess. After finding the Head no's, i.e Flow, combustion size, valves,etc, together with cam data and intake (sequential flow injection) the Data was entered into "Dyno" software for the stated results, which, by the way, should be very accurate based on my Engines comparisons to actual output.

Since the Glastron manifold is an an unknown, that output will be an estimate.

John

11. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

Well, considering I would have been happy to pick up 20 to 30 hp, I think that I will be quite happy. Still working on the efi system and getting components together.

Jim

12. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Jim,

If you decide you want more, a cam change would be far more effective, both cost and output than larger Heads. Larger heads will of course add more power,but at a substantial cost.
    *A "Trick Flow Stage One" cam will add abt. 65 more HP (335) and 30 lb-ft torque (390max) without losing bottom end power. See:
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51402000&autoview=sku

Keep in mind ANY cam you use,CAM timing should be set at -4 deg. Also be sure to check piston clearance with larger cam.

* Output with GT40P Heads

13. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

Is this the one you used in your boat? It does add the Hp and torque. Did you notice a low-end torque loss?

Is there any way except clay to tell what the piston clearance is. Pulling the head seems like quite a bit of trouble.

It is interesting to find out about those things from your experience.

Thanks again,

Jim

14. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Jim,

Yes, this is the cam I am using. Smooth Idle and lots of Torque, 400 lb-ft between 2000 and 6000 rpm, with a max of 460 at 4500. The Explorer cam produced the same 400lb-ft with a max of "only" 415 at 3500. The "Low" max. is partly due to the Large Ports in my Heads (Pro Comp 210 Alum.)

A 302 with GT40P heads will have the same (as Explorer cam)340LB-FT at 2000 to a max of 390 at 3500 rpm.

Unfortunately, I know of NO other way to check Piston/valve clearance, but to put clay on piston top and reinstall Head, rotate crankshaft (2 revolutions by hand), remove and measure compressed clay. You might contact some Mustang owners who use this Cam (GOOGLE??)

15. modela

modela Junior Member

John,

It has been quite a while since I pulled down and rebuilt an engine and hence I have a bit of stage fright. I look at this new crate engine and think, "Am I going to screw it up?" I have a set of roller tappets to install but I am also wondering about push rod length, setup, etc.

Sounds like you are more confident and readily make changes with yours. I hope to get to that level.

I guess I will have to get rid of the butterflies and go forward. It has been a long time since I ran the old 302 carbureted Ford, but I think that the top end full throttle of the boat was about 46 mph with about 4600 rpm. I believe it was running a 15 x 19 prop. It had plenty of power on the lower end.

If it develops that much torque I might have to go to a higher pitch prop but that is down the road a ways.

Jim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.