Power for a 3.4 Mac Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by davflaws, Jul 15, 2007.

1. davflaws

davflaws Junior Member

Hi
    I have recently acquired a 3.4m Mac boat, a rotationally moulded polyethlylene dinghy. It is 3m on the waterline with 5 degree V at the transom and 110cm chine beam. It seems to have a huge volume for its size because there is quite a lot of flare in the topsides above the chine. The wt of the hull is about 60kg and all up with crew, gear, motor and fuel (and hopefully a load of fish) it will be 200-300 kg (depending on 1 or 2 crew). The craft is rated to 10hp, but since I am using it off the beach, a smaller lighter motor would be easier to lift out of the trunk of my car and hump down to the water. I only want to do trips of 2-3 nm in it. How much HP do I need?
    Advice appreciated.
    Thanx
    DEF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.