Power boat design for economy.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Frosty, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What NASA foil do you use?

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Bernd72-- Those are what I call New York harbour business commuter boats. Very popular for such use and the power boat style of their day--(early 1900). Considering the in-efficiency of early gas and diesel engines they did achieve very acceptiable fuel consumption. Long, narrow, reasonable displacement and sailboat operator travel time mentality still seems to be the answer. As we sailers say time in travel not time in port is the key. Sure one can get from point A to point B much faster in a power boat but once you get there you're back tied up or anchored in port not on the big blue water where a boat should be. Funny related story---A common boating trip we make here in my area of Nova Scotia is a weekend run down the coast from say Halifax to Chester or Lunenburg. Thats about from 4 to 8 hrs. in a sailing vessel depending which harbour along the way you leave from. There are usually from 6 to 8 boats in each fleet of friends. One year one of our friends decided he had enough of sailing --too slow--so he bought an ocean rocket cabin cruiser for the coming boating season. Well we set out one weekend and away he went outpacing the fleet by quadruple speeds. two hours later we meet him coming in the opposite direction -- he had been to Chester and back complaining about how slow we were and how hard it was for him to keep our pace due to his rocket wallowing at such a slow speed. His parting and returning went on four or five times until he enquired if there was not something he could do to keep busy. Yes we said we're getting low on beer run ahead to Chester and get us a case or two,upon which he replied I can give you a case I havent touched mine. Having said that it suddenly occured to him he was missing a very important part of the weekends festivities-- the in route and return voyage time. Next season he was a true sailer again.

3. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

@ viking north:
    I am familar with the commuter boat concept. These boats were under way in numbers of several hunderd during the mid 20s on Long Island sund. But the one I mentioned is quite new, my design and at home in the baltic sea. I am perfectly happy with a cruising speed around 8 kts, but I enjoy having the extra power for using it as a spectators boat during regattas (you need it if you´re running with a dozen 12mR-yachts) or just for rough weather.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I realize that the commuter style was built worldwide but in much more concentrated numbers in the U.S. eastern seaboard. Do you have any drawings or more photos-- looks like an interesting craft. While I am not a powerboat guy in the true sense I do have a fondness for the older styles---

5. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Bernd,
    I'm trying to get a perspective on the fuel efficiency of your 65' boat. Do you have any more data like BWL, displacement etc?
    Erik

6. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

Hi Eric, the displacement of my boat is 18t, LWL is 19,7m, BWL is 3,6m. The engines deliver 300hp togetherand are sufficient for 16kts. It offers about 58 squaremeters of romm inside and is designed for coastal cruising.
    However, the props are still not perfect (to steep). As a result of this I can only use abot 280-290 hp of potentially availeabe 330 hp. But I still get 16 kts from them.
    Viking north, you can find more fotos of it on facebook (Motoryacht Marlin).

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If I wanted to find the NASA of a Dreamliner I could ( NASA is the shape of the wing or foil)

If I wanted to find the NASA of a sikorsky I could I have found it, or a 747 or a Cessna or Lancaster etc etc

I can not find the NASA of a Hysucat. I guess they don't use one and use a flat plate or a 'D' shape as some early foils did.

Yet there appears to be some shape from shy photo's

8. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

No, Frosty, NASA is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration of the USA.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

That registers NASA foil shape. It is them that designates the number.

The number will indicate length and cord thickness. There are 4-5-6 number NASA codes,--- right from the Wright brothers at Kitty hawk

10. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

No, not the case.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I assume you will be elaborating on this after google.

12. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

I'm simply trying to help your reputation by attempting to prevent you from making inaccurate statements.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

14. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

But a common error. I knew you would catch on.

1 person likes this.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I was going to give some rep points but decided against it.

But thanks for the correction,-- just a tad condescending but I can handle it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.