powder coating

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jim lee, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

If you are going to trust powder coating, the secret is the primers, or anodising first (alloy).

Generally powder coaters sandblast and paint directly (cost competative). No primers, so make sure the base metal is correctly primed first. I have seen many failures because of this most basic of all practices.

Yes, Devoe products are exceptional, I trust them a lot in my work.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok I must be thinking of a different kind of powder coating

I have restored the occasional car and they acid dip the chassis and then electrostatically apply a powder coating in a vacuum chamber.
    then bake it

stuff gets into the smallest of nooks and crannies

not sure but it sounds like you guys are using some other system

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

nup Boston....you just have someone that knows what they are doing and doing it well, there are many operators out there simply sandblasting and painting with powdercaot then running it through the oven.

.....as is correct in any trade, some will do the job as it should be done, others copy and do what they know, or try to do it as cheap as possible with no regard to quality.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya the kind of powder coating Im used to is not something you can do on site or that is cheap to have done. Basically when I restore a car I do a complete job of it.

cool
    thought for a minute there we were talking about a different kind of material or something

B

5. engineroomeddie

engineroomeddie New Member

Powder coating is phenomenal. I know the superyacht guys use it. Why the smaller boat manufacturers havent caught on to it beats me.

Mind you as mentioned above, its only as good as the pretreatment.

Done right, powder is bombproof. by far the best

6. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

best coating for rust prevention is a matalic (aluminum) filled mcu (moisture cured urethane). use as a primer and no need to topcoat if you like the aluminum finish. Several brands out there - we like (and sell) aluthane (google aluthane).

I think PAR also has some experience with aluthane.

paul
    progressive epoxy polymers inc

7. Keelboater

Keelboater Junior Member

The only reason powder coating has become so popular is due to environmental regulations regarding solvents and hazardous waste. And unlike paint, unused powder can be collected and used on the next job. So it's actually much cheaper for them to apply, yet they always seem to charge more money for it. My opinion is that you can't beat a good epoxy paint system for corrosion resistance. (not plating options, just coating options) Also if it begins to chip or peel, the area can be repaired whereas powder coat can not. There are different types of powder just like there are different types of paint. Some work better than others. UV stabilized powder is mandatory, so be sure you are getting that. I worked as an engineer for developing powder application equipment years ago, and to this day still go with epoxy or two part polyurethane paint if given a choice. The job did not make me an expert in chemical engineering, nor do I claim to be one here. However, we did do quite a bit of powder testing at the time and I was always disappointed with the powder coating over longer time periods. That's just my 2 cents. I realize others feel differently and have their own reasons for doing so. Good luck with your project.

8. engineroomeddie

Powder coating definitely works- we powder coat about 1 per week here at RMC in Seattle.

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I had some car rims powder coated in red, lasted about a month, a year later they were orange.

10. engineroomeddie

I would say something was drastically wrong with your vendor in both terms of prep and materials.
    It is nothing news that powder coating is used daily in the most extreme of conditions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.