Mini 650 new design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by g.ziecina, Jun 11, 2010.

1. g.ziecina

g.ziecina Junior Member

I'm in the process of designing a boat based on the Mini650 rules but for different use than transat race. It will be a cruise vessel, sturdier than race boats (hence the aluminium construction), but a one that has a race boat air to it, possibly aimed at charter market.

I think that this question is sort of a market survey more than anything else.
    I have the initial concept of the superstructure done. Now I have two options of superstructure placement.

It can be moved a bit aft, in my opinion this version looks best (we're after a cool looking design), it also gives a possibility of much wider superstructure and thus more spacious, but it leaves us with a cockpit that is only 144cm long.

By moving the cockpit one frame to the fore we gain additional 72cm of cockpit lenght, but we get cosiderably smaller superstructure and the boat looks less attractive.

The question is, which boat would you chose? Below are initiol renders of both options:

Short cockpit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Longer cockpit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best regards,
    Grzegorz Ziecina

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Very nice! I think if the potential customer was going to use the boat primarily for daysailing /weekends maybe the larger cockpit is best. Both look good to me. Well done!

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

My suspicion is that there would be a market for both. I'd say the long cockpit / short cabin would likely sell slightly more boats, but there will be a few longer-term cruisers who want the larger cabin. If the hull and rig are identical, and it's aluminum, the extra cost for a builder to offer both versions would be quite small compared to the potential for more sales.
    In the long-cockpit version, you may run into some structural challenges with the mast partners... the coach roof alone will probably not be enough to support the mast, if you want cruising-boat durability.

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

For daysailing, even for weekending I would go with the longer cockpit ala the J-80. On a boat this size even when cruising the amount of time spent below is pretty marginal, making a larger cockpit much more desirable.

5. g.ziecina

g.ziecina Junior Member

Hello Gents,
    thank you for the replies. We decided to go with the longer cockpit version as it does seem that much more practical than short cockpit/bigger cabin combo as you pointed out.

I also did a few tweaks to the shape and proportions. This is somewhat much closer to it's final form. How do you like it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and in duo tone paint scheme:
    [​IMG]

Best regards,
    Grzegorz Zięcina

6. Travis Clifton

Travis Clifton New Member

Does someone have updated contact info for Grzegorz (op) I am interested in this aluminum 650 design. His site is down. I tried to contact through his skype (doubt he will respond to that). Can someone message him? It wont allow me. His designs look awesome. ARE YOU THERE! maybe he heard me. o_O

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.