Pot pot powaaa

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Oct 1, 2010.

1. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

aka heat pipe engine

here is some quantitative anlaysis.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...pop pop boats have a loop, so both "exhausts" are also inlets, you fill up one side till it comes out the other, then it is filled.

...the true importance of them is their simplicity, why try ti reinvent the wheel when it works so wonderfully simple as it is, if you want more power, make a steam engine...now there is a REAL power source.....

I have been building my one for a few years now in spare time...not much spare time so it has sat silently waiting for me for a while, but it is about 2/3rd finished I guess...no rush.

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Pop Pops are staggering. Beyond belief really. I have an Engineering background and when I was given one for Christmas I was a non-believer. How could it work, non-sense. It sat in the bathtube, candle burning... nothing... and then, suddenly POP, POP, POP POP... loud! Then, the simple little thing started moving forward, and at a pretty good clip for such a silly, simple little contraption. I learned the principle under which they operate and was dumbfounded.

-Tom

5. latestarter

latestarter Senior Member

Is this allowed on this forum, have you got a statement of requirements and been through a design spiral?

I must have had a privileged childhood owning a pop pop boat and a baking powder submarine :)

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Took me 6 month to get the necessary knowledge to start a pop pop boat !! :D

Thx for the links folks !
    Landlubber, i am not trying to reinvent the wheel just to add a steering mechanism im sure my sister's kids would be owe inspired by the little remote controlled contraption !!!! Also the plywood would add weight so more powaaa is needed :D
    "Im trying to get it to plan :p"

Angélique many many thanks :D you are the inspiration for this whole project! (small as it is im hoping it will put a smile on kid's faces) im pretty sure its a very new concept.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Junior Member

Pop Pop should really be called Perk Perk?? Any drip coffee maker has a prebuilt pop pop boat inside!

*********"Revised , found out my calc was wrong!!"*******

Make's me think there has to be a way to sequence multi pops at the moment of water/gas conv???

8. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Troy & Landlubber thanks for the info. I've added a PS into my post.
    But why are they going in circles if both pipe ends have propulsion..??

Cheers,
    Angel

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

any difference in exhaust would do that, or hull shape

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Reconfigure shape of tube ends to over/under and course should straighten out.

Attached Files:

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Interesting thought: if you made one tube longer and configured them one above the other as you've shown, would the longer one act as an intake and the other as an exhaust? Since the shorter one would have less water in it, it might create less back pressure against the steam....

12. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Both tubes act as exhaust and intake, but a shorter tube should have a greater intake value than the longer tube.
    If your boat is not going straight due to the propulsion, i suspect it is due to asymmetric geometry of your heat pipe.

~Michael

13. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

so would my idea work ? intake from the front with check valve and outtake from the back again with a check valve?

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Maybe.

15. wardd

wardd Senior Member

maybe not

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.