Pot Noodle anyone?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mikthestik, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

My interest is in boats capable of Atlantic crossing. On a 30-60ft yacht that means you will have a very Spartan existence for some weeks. Assuming you can get a small freezer and microwave on your boat here is my solution for good food during the voyage.
    1 soup keeps better than vegetables make gallons of soup, vegetable french onion scotch broth and freeze it in 500gm marge containers then blast in the microwave when needed.
    2 pot noodle is a great snack add hot water and it's done.I prefer chicken mushroom/sweetcorn, but it has little food value and I have never found a bit chicken in it. my recipe book says about 4ozs of meat per person.
    Take chicken beef or any other meat cook(stir fry) it with say mushrooms devide into man size portions and freeze in plastic bags. cook and do the same with rice and or noodles.
    Now when you are served in a Chinese resteraunt there is little sauce in the dish my wife likes lots of sauce and thats how I make it. 1beef or chicken stock cube makes 1/2 liter of stock add about 2 tablespoons of soya sauce to taste and about 1 teaspoon of cornflower to thicken it a bit. Freeze it in suitable size containers.
    The three parts of the dish can be defrosted and zapped in the microwave in really rough weather, beef an mushroom the wifes favourite. When doing beef remove as much fat as you can and slice thinly. When it is calm it is easy to cook on a propane stove as you get much more heat and you get it faster than my electric cooker at home:)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think your idea of spartan is much more luxurious than mine. I cruised in a 25 footer and found it very comfortable.

3. Westel

Westel Senior Member

60 ft sailboat, microwave, freezer......sounds very Spartan if you're used to cruise the Queen Mary LOL !!!
    They never should have made sailing available to the working class people, they dragged the levell of "sailing in style" down...:D:D

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Onions, onions, and more onions, keep well for months, repels vermin, flavours food wonderfully well !

5. JakubT

JakubT Junior Member

Sauerkraut definitely, and red turnip also lasts long:)

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Hey, if your average efficiency apartment can have it ... maybe we need more classifications for cruiser accommodations?

McMansion on Water

Surburbia on Water

(admittedly the line between the above may be blurred in some areas)

Townhouse on Water

Apartment on Water

(same note applies)

Efficiency on Water

Floating Shelter / Old School

Pop-Tent for Beach Use

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Life at sea is more mindset than boat accommodations or size. Once you get into a routine and cruising life, you'll find you don't need nearly as much as you might think, before you headed out. You don't have to be real anal about preparation, though organization, determination and problem solving skills usually win the day. I've done both, small and large boat cruising and a lot is to be said about smaller boats. They're easier to handle, you can always find a slip, it doesn't cost nearly as much, the gear is reasonable size, either manual or with manual backup. These are important considerations, as you can easily find yourself in a place, where they've never heard of the hydraulic winch system you boat uses, let alone can get parts for a malfunctioning unit. Smaller boats typically have simpler systems too, often things you can fix aboard with a tool and spare kit.

As to stores, well this is the crux of all cruisers. Even a small sailor can cross the Atlantic in couple of weeks. A few weeks of stores isn't a hard thing to do or plan for. Now crossing the Pacific in a Catalina 22 would be a problem, but an old Catalina 30 would be a fun adventure, if a harsh ride occasionally. For the big puddle I'd want at least a 35' LWL, just to keep thing relatively comfortable.

As to a freezer or ice maker, well this is a big energy draw, but a gen set could be used sparingly enough to keep you in lemonad on a 30' yacht. Most find after sailing 30' then repeatedly bouncing up in size, they come back to boats in the 35' - 45' range.

8. The Q

The Q Senior Member

My solution, is canned food, just varnish the cans so you don't lose the labels or get rusty cans. If you have a source of fresh water, dried food can be also used as an alternative ( but keep enough cans for the rest for the journey). Take fresh food for the first few days with any other veg that will last for a time.
    Half way across the Atlantic and getting a freezer / generator failure is not my idea of a good trip.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are a lot of fresh foods that keep for a long time. For example, onions, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes and oranges. Also, you can catch fish.

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Freeze dried.

Check your local area,you may be able to contract batches of food to dry. Or buy a used one for a couple grand and then sell it when ur done.

Only way to go.

11. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

1. I have seen microwaves on boats but never heard of using one underway. It is just not practical.
    2. In my experience people who have a freezer on board tend to fill it with premium meats, ice cream and assorted vegetables.
    3. I think you need a good cookbook.

People can survive just fine on rice and beans alone. This days a nutrient, rich, and varied diet is no problem even without refrigeration. Just go and buy the proper cookbook and discover that you are not limited to TV dinners, freeze dried food and eating out of a can. For really rough weather when it is impossible to properly cook something even on a proper sea stove buy some high quality canned meals (from France).
    I have never seen a 30 footer that could not hold enough food for 2 people for 5 weeks of eating in style. I would worry much more about water capacity and on a small boat before I go freezer I'll go watermaker. On a 60 footer you have enough space to ship the french cook in addition to all the food you want.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Rice, beans and Spam; anyone can thrive on that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.