possible to decrease rolling motion?

Discussion in 'Stability' started by kapnD, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Is a steady sail an option? Of course in the upper picture the sails appear to be used to help the speed, but could add in stability or dampening of the roll
    and in the lower pictures the boats are anchored and might be using the sail to reducing swing at anchor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Maverikk

Maverikk Junior Member

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member

4. Maverikk

Maverikk Junior Member

was thinking more like [​IMG]

5. Lepke

Lepke Junior Member

Seakeeper https://seakeeper.com/ is an internal gyro stabilizer. About the size of a small generator. It has to be well mounted to the vessel structure and on the centerline.
    I was a commercial fisherman on the West Coast. Many fishermen used former navy utility boats. Usually they extended the hull up about 3-4'. For roll, most added a full keel that extended to the rudder. The strut was removed and the bearing was included in the new keel assembly. Also, a bigger rudder was made and the extended keel became the bottom support. Some added boxed in I beam to the keel bottom. Both for weight and to use as a keel cooler. Other used a piece of railroad steel. Mainline railroad steel is taller and heavier than spur line RR steel. I think it's rated by the weight per foot. Probably found at a scrap yard. I used stabilizers like those in the pic above. I also had a sail on the boom.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.