Steel vs Aluminum

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SheetWise, May 16, 2006.

1. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

In comparing relative advantages of steel vs. aluminum for displacement hulls, I vacillate. The arguments for both can be compelling -- and I often take the position of the last good argument I've read. I'd like to restrict it a little, and get some opinions.

If comparable hulls are built to the same strength and stiffness, and state-of-the-art coatings are correctly applied --- what factors tip your preference?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Egad.
    I like aluminum, myself. It's lighter, and I like to go fast. Then again, I don't usually carry 20,000 gal of diesel, nor do I carry a sewage truck on deck. Steel does seem to yield a cheaper boat, and one that can take more of a beating (sometimes). Steel is also less sensitive to fatigue and can be welded with conventional non-IG gear. In the event of an impact, though, Al seems to buckle where steel cracks, and I'd rather have a bent hull than a broken one.

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I think resale value is higher for aluminium, but maybe harder to weld by an amateur, http://www.fairmetalboats.com/metalBoats.htm :

The pros and cons of steel Vs aluminum are very dependent on whether you plan to build yourself and the performance criteria of the design. See our write-up on "About Metal Boats" for more info. Generally we believe aluminum's more critical welding parameters lead one to starting with at least a completed aluminum hull. The ease of learning and controlling steel welding on the other hand lead it to owner building either from scratch or from a kit.

4. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

marshmat-

"In the event of an impact, though, Al seems to buckle where steel cracks ..."

I have this impression as well, but can't find any foundation for it. In fact, alot of what I've read argues against the belief. Is there any empirical evidence to support this?

Raggi Thor -

I should have added -- cost and resale issues aside, which do you consider a preferable hull material.

5. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

tipping factors

Apart from weight, the factor that tips my preference is cost or labour of maintenance. The higher price of aluminum over the lifetime of a hull is more then compensated for by the low cost of maintenance.

6. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Now with anti-rust technology on the verge of peaking....... Steel option would be better, better rust control, strength, smooth welding, solid feeling, unlimited size of ship with this material, ........... lots cheaper to do. My thought.:)

I used to be aluminium minded. Old stuff work better and technology improved it.

WDH

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Now with anti-rust technology on the verge of peaking......."

The big boat guys would love to learn of this tech.
    Do you realize what it costs to loose $400,000 in charter a day to get the hull painted ?

The folks that own the oil and gas tankers of the world will be waiting breathlessly!!

Don't believe advertising hype , believe decades of experience.

FAST FRED

8. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

U have a tanker made from ALUMINIUM renting for 400,000 US$ a day? WOW................... unbelievable, big aluminium..... need to tell my mom :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.