Multi function trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DriesLaas, Feb 3, 2011.

1. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

I want to do a slightly larger version of the WETA, 18 feet long.

The reason is as follows, and is maybe ambitious from a design point of view:

The amas on their own make a beach cat.

A short(5500mm LOA) central hull added makes for a turbo version of the WETA.

Replace the racing hull with a slightly longer cruising hull and you have a micro coastal cruiser.

All versions use the same rig, aka's and ama's. The rig is from a Prindle 18, 20 square metres of upwind sail area. A nice blank canvas (pun intended) to start with.

I have this rig, thus my interest in doing it this way.

Of course the structural requirements of a cruising boat on the open sea in heavy weather is different than that of a light racing boat intended for use on protected waters, and this is where the biggest design challenge lies, and also the largest compromises will have to be accepted.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.