I rowed the Old Railroad - Lake Livingston, Texas

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SailorDon, Jul 21, 2014.

1. SailorDon

SailorDon Senior Member

Over 50 years ago, a railroad ran along what is now the lake bed of Lake Livingston. I found an old map showing the location of the Old Railroad. It was published by the Trinity River Authority.
    I added a CustomMap to my Garmin Montana 650 to navigate along a section of that old railroad (which is now 21 feet under water).

Here is a video of my rowing adventure.

The GPS navigation exercise gives me something to do while I'm doing my rowing exercise.

2. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Attractive skiff you have.

What's the story of the old railroad?

Is the old track still underwater?

3. SailorDon

SailorDon Senior Member

Thanks for the compliment on my Thames Rowing Skiff.
    It has won awards at Keels and Wheels (Seabrook, TX); Pirates Cove Wooden Boat Festival (Joesephine, Alabama); and Madisonville Wooden Boat Show (Madisonville, Louisiana).

I did an internet search for the history of the Old Railroad. There was a large sawmill in Onalaska. I'm making my own "connection" that the railroad probably was a small short line railroad serving the logging industry in Onalaska. The Onalaska lumber industry has been defunct for many decades.

The map from which I made the GPS overlay was published by the Trinity River Authority (TRA) in 1983 and shows the Old Railroad running along 359 and discontinuous around Sebastapol and continuing up to Trinity.[​IMG]

I think the steel track would be valuable enough to salvage. I don't think there are any railroad tracks on the bottom of Lake Livingston.