Paints

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Gents Fanie and i have just had some lousy results with an expensive 2pack epoxy paint

This question is a little different

how many of you have experimented with "different" paints that may be "cheaper" this is for boats THAT LIVE IN THE WATER AT SEA

this is to paint over polyester and glass AND over epoxy and glass
    in other words a "normal" fibreglass boat AND a "normal" ply and epoxy boat

In our country we are been fed a bucket of ******** by a bunch of ******* that know fu3kall - they are called "paint experts" = thieves

what i am after is actual experiences of paint jobs that were done with normal or domestic commercial exterior enamels and or exterior PVA's
    the guys in the boat yards are using the "cheap ****" and i am not sure what they are using, in a small diminshing market like ours everything "boat" is TEN times the price
    Duckworks and those chaps are forever experimenting with good results BUT those boats mostly live on trailers, and i am trying to establish a good paint schedule even it means touching up every two years or that extra coat

any titbits will help

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I paint my boats with oil base house paint. People that think it is not good, routinely leave their houses in the weather with several years between paintjobs. For the interior I use exterior latex house paint with mildewcide. It stays clean.

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Thanks guys that is what i have been looking for

this is a very good read

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/articles.html

it is just unbelievable that when you tell those ******** that you are building a boat they treat you like you have a peanut for a brain

in my country 80% of people that sell anything "boat" are absolute *******

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Manie, I regularly repair and paint boat hulls and mostly are power boats that takes a beating and never had a comeback or bad result. But remember, paints are only as good as its preparation.
    For example, spent 3 weeks prepping a Z craft invader cat and the painting the hull and deck only took an hour flat - looked a million dollars though when done.

For starters; you have two choices of paints in SA. Firstly, Glatex which is the best but hard to colour and limited in colours. It is a 100% pure polyurethane paint and excellent, but its nemesis is sun and it tends to fade pronto pronto.

The paint that I use is 2K (poly-acrythane) and can be mixed into any colour you like. This is and excellent all rounder and Transnet uses this on trains and most cars are painted with this nowadays. It is extremely resistant to UV rays and keeps its shine.
    Best to buy a good brand of 2K - one that uses 50% mix to 50% hardener ratio. But as said, paint is only as good as its preparation.

This is how you should go about: Firstly, sand down the poly or epoxy surface until smooth - flat down with water sand paper until you down to 2000#. Clean thoroughly, apply primer. ONLY use MX spray primer/filler - cream colour. (remember the plug of the L6 when we pulled the mold - that's MX). It is usually a 1:4 ratio hardener to paint. The grey automotive primer commonly used it not compatible with K2 epoxy paints and the result is paint that shrinks, crack etc.
    Let it dries thoroughly again and sand down with 1500 - 2000# water sand paper and clean. Now you ready to spray on the 2K and have fun.:cool:

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

:D http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/boxy-fisher-catamaran-26429-4.html

Thanks Manie, there you have it. I will later check how tough the glatex is but I plan to replace it with 2k.

7. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Paving ....

Have had good luck with Paving paint for the decks....

I used this brand :It lasted for 10 years on a deck on a boat kept outside in all manner of weather, was still good when I sold the boat.[​IMG]
    Epoxy / glass / ply deck , I think I applied 3 coats , then masked off and sprinkled granulated cork to make anti - slip panels. Looked good.Very hard wearing.

Bondall Paving Paint is formulated with a polyurethane modified alkyd resin and added slip-guard. This product provides a tough hardwearing film with good abrasion resistance and excellent durability. It is It is ideal for use on driveways, paths, carports, warehouse
    and garage floors, timber decking and boat decks. primarily intended for use on concrete floors, but can also be used on brick, stone and timber if required.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Wynand thanks for the input but there is NO WAY that i spend all that time and effort on a "paint finish"

i MUCH prefer the PAVING paint - much closer to my "style"

:D :D

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The boat show finish is not for boats that see a lot of service. They are toys with more time being serviced and polished than sailed.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

At least we don't holystone the decks, anymore.

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thanks Wynand, the MX spray primer/filler - cream colour is a good hint. I will go visit the local shop and see what it looks like (yea, I know cream coloured :D)

I don't want the boat to look like a show piece, but whatever I paint the boat with must at least not make it look like junk.