Portager size Poll

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Portager, Jul 21, 2003.

?

Is Portager properly sized to accommodate 4 adults & 2 dogs and cruise long ranges?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2003.
  1. Portager is bigger than it needs to be.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Portager is about the right size.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Portager is too small.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Portager

Portager Senior Member

I'd like to know how many people think (a) Portager is bigger than it needs to be to accomodate 4 adults & 2 dogs and cruise long ranges comfortable and safely, (b) Portager is about the right size, or (c) Portager is too small. (Note: this poll does not address being the right size for trailering. I think I know the answer to that question).

Regards;
    Mike Schooley

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Leaving, as you suggest, the transportation issue aside, I think 48ft is pretty well spot on. My parents recently sold (to my sister!) the 36ft Cheoy Lee 'trawler' that we've enjoyed for almost 25 years. A wonderful boat, its only shortcoming is that there's only one separate sleeping cabin.
    As a replacement, they bought an Offshore 48 Yachtfisher. Though not nearly as well built as the Cheoy Lee, it does enjoy a double cabin at each end separated by a comfortable living space in the middle - much like the Rhumb Runner from M Kasten. It is at the upper limit of what I would consider manageable by two people, but is large enough to swallow all the guff that goes along with long term cruising and not so large that maintenacce issues become unmanageable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.