Port and starboard funnels

Discussion in 'Stability' started by e.m.milad, Jul 12, 2015.

1. e.m.milad

e.m.milad Junior Member

Dear TANSL and PAR
    Thank you for your kind responses.
    I tried to clarify what I wanted to ask, It is because the limitations of illustrations, by the way I am working with plans and not with real boats. Then lets talk. We have a pleasure boat with an exhaust in side of the hull of the vessel, I do not no the real configuration but I guess it should be a U shape pipe in order to avoiding ingress of water. I asked, is this point should be considered DFP (down flooding point) or not.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think the answer is simple and, in part, you've given it. If through this hole can produce progressive flooding, there is a flooding point. If there is anything to prevent it, accepted by the corresponding organism or administration, it is not.
    I know this is like saying nothing but, with the data we have, I can not say anything more conclusive.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, without a better understanding of what the OP is trying to learn, much more isn't possible. What is the engine configuration, boat length, is the engine above the LWL, etc. The more information you can provide the better we can help. What are the plans you are working from, for example. What does the plans suggest about the engine installation . . . Most pleasure boat exhaust systems are pretty simple things.

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

The diagram I saw was not what I would call a funnel... which are 'dry', and usually go 'up', not 'out'.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Definition of FUNNEL

Attached Files:

6. PAR

We're aware of the definition for funnels, but the OP said:

Which raises the obvious questions about the make, model and year of the boat, plus any other engine installation details that might be appropriate.

7. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I've done a number of boats with exhausts (wet) out the hull side but never referred to them as funnels. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

PAR, let me copy here what e.m.milaid said in post # 1
    Furthermore, if you read the title of this thread, perhaps, you will understand that we were talking about "funnels" although, perhaps, little by little it has become clearer what we wanted to talk.

JSL, my experience is similar but, yes, "Perhaps there is a misunderstanding".
    For my part, this thread is over. Until we know what the ship and the configuration of her "funnels", I will not interfere more.

9. PAR

The OP did clarify the "funnel" issue with his last post:

This suggests he's talking about a dry exhaust (pipe) and some sort of side exit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.