Local epoxy advice

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Vulkyn, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Well started some tests (yes FINALLY after almost a year!!) with epoxy... have to say it was a joy trying it out for the first time.

Due to current conditions in Egypt and the lack of any sort of money, i started playing around with local epoxy brands instead of going for something like west system.

I coated some wood and made a small bonding trial and the results where acceptable. The bonding strength is good as far as i can tell which means i will need to do some more comprehensive tests.

The epoxy has a loooong curing time though after 4-5 hrs it was just starting to get less viscous (could be i did not mix portions properly) but according to the data sheet it need 8 hrs setting time.

For the time being i attached the technical data sheet of the epoxy i tried as i would love to get some advice regarding it.
    The supplier has no clue regarding the epoxy in marine use nor fillers to get the epoxy into a peanut butter consistency for bonding.

Here is the company's web site as well .. http://www.cmbegypt.com/en/index.php?page=epoxy-filler

Attached Files:

2. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

The mix is 2:1 by weight! Did you use a scale?

3. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

No but i am getting one soon .....

According to the data sheet, Is it a viable option for boat building?

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

For what I read of it, this stuff can be used for epoxy/wood boat building. Just the heat resistance, I doubt that it is that high, but even it it was just 45 degrees C, it would not be that big of a problem.

Get yourself a good scale, that is important.

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thx ! Yah I will I took some pictures that I will post later today on my first epoxy trials. I am also waiting for the data sheet for the filler which I have not used yet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.