Poor man's boat/raft/barge whatever it will be

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by baboonslayer, Apr 3, 2011.

1. baboonslayer

baboonslayer Junior Member

I have been thinking for awhile that someone should design a good all around boat for hauling cargo on inland waterways and making short hops to islands off the coast, and still be cheap and easy to build. So I put together a list of design requirements for a boat like this:

1)low cost of construction
    2)being able to operate in water that is 24" deep
    3)constructed from readily available materials
    4)ability to carry a cargo of up to 3 tons
    5)maneuverability
    6)self propulsion
    7)long range
    8)stability
    8)simplicity (easy and simple construction so any average Joe could build it)
    9)ability to make short voyages of about 200 or less miles out into the ocean, for to haul supplies to an island for example.
    10)seaworthiness (in case it gets hit by a storm while making a voyage to an island off the coast)
    11)maximum length of 50 feet

So I kinda need your help in designing a boat that meets these design requirements :D.

Thanks for any help you have to offer on this matter

2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Sounds like a self propelled barge or landing craft to me.

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Baboonslayer,

For some reason I am worried with you hanging around this forum.....:D

4. baboonslayer

baboonslayer Junior Member

cthippo; If you think about it, a landing craft is doesn't sound so cheap or easy to build. So that leaves the self propelled barge as a viable option. I am actually liking the idea of a self propelled barge. Maybe a self propelled barge with a scow hull and an aft wheelhouse.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.