Climate Change is a Complex Subject, Not Just a Political Football

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by troy2000, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

It's never been as simple as, "the world is warming and Doomsday is coming," versus, "Global Warming is a conspiracy by nefarious interests to further their control of the world."

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

If you can get to read.. An Ocean of Air... (a natural history of the Atmosphere) by
    Gabrielle Walker, understanding what goes on above and around us would help.

It looks to be available at Google/books...

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Troy,

I was gonna start you this thread, so you would still have climate change.

You beat me to it!

Wayne

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Its important that responsible citizens think about and protect their environment.

Every decision you make affects your environment

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I don't actually plan to post much in this thread, Wayne; I'm no expert. I just enjoyed having a place here where I could sort of keep up with the subject.

I suppose sooner or later it'll devolve into name calling and conspiracy theories and get shut down, like the others have. But maybe it'll last a while....

One related fact: although whether it's related to climate change or not might be arguable, the Colorado River lakes where I plan to use my boat are shrinking radically. Apparently the weather has been drier the last few years than any time in the last 1400 years....

6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Think how much good you would do for the environment by getting rid of Hollywood jet setters and Al Gore and his grossly polluting big jets?

7. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I hope it does last a while.

That means there is less name calling.

:)

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I think corporate CEO's and the like do a lot more private jetting than the average Hollywood celebrity.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Yes, but I hope they put people to work, instead of just vacationing with big wigs ....

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

At least for now it looks like the US Open:
    Troy ranked #1 from the US and El-Guero ranked #2 from Ukraine on the final.
    The Honorable Tom Kane as the umpire and he has to say often: LOVE
    I like tennis :)

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

You must love watching President Obama reading from his teleprompters much more than you love watching him golf on vacation 100 days a year!

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

[sigh] Please go beat up on Obama somewhere else. This is a climate change thread, not a Tea Party political forum.....

13. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I was writing about watching a speaker inspired by watching tennis.

Now, here you go bringing in politics .... I think you are Tea Party!

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Lake Mead has dropped to 47% of its capacity in the last 14 years, because of the ongoing drought. Lake Powell has shrunk to less than that, and they're planning to cut its flow next year - which will drop Lake Mead's water level another 8 feet.

Here's what Mead looks like right now, behind Hoover Dam. It's already dropped 100 feet....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/troybytheriver/LakeMeadBathtubRing_zps4dd06117.jpg
    If you go to the above link, there are aerial photos of the Colorado River stretching over the last decade. Lake areas in some areas have shrunk from a wide band to a narrow ribbon of river, leaving 'No Fishing' signs stranded in the desert two miles from the water.
    http://www.weather.com/news/science...lake-powell-lake-mead-climate-change-20130818

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How does Australia have floods but at the same time not have water running? Also, what is measurable, .00001"? These are activists claims. They are backing political agendas but are not science.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.