insurance on modified hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by riskmore, Apr 5, 2019.

1. riskmore

riskmore Junior Member

I want to remove a bulkhead and and replace with a frame and rib on a balsa core hull. the production design has plywood bulkheads every 2 meters with glass over foam ribs tied to frames up the top sides every meter.

Am I correct thinking that the modification would have to be approved by a certified naval architect and submitted to the insurance company?

I've also planned the addition of sugar scoops and integral diesel tanks of glass over plywood below the sole. would these mods also need to be approved?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Would not be bad. Ask also the insurance company.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Ask the insurance company about what they require, and if they require an inspection who can do the inspection. A recognized marine surveyor may be sufficient.

4. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

If you ask the insurance company their answer is likely to be very expensive to you because they are all about reducing their risk.

This is not a commercial vessel right? Just sayin'

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.