Pontoon/houseboat conversion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dhk, Apr 23, 2022.

1. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Yes, last seen in April.
    I like that idea.

2. Janis_59

Janis_59 Junior Member

Have built the pontoon boat twice. First project was 2x3 barrels (those 220 liter blue plactic with two small screw-props). The base - welded triangular steel space-frame from painted by thick tar. Thus, first problem was how to strap them well. After numerous trials of different methods my choice fell on the following cheap but exceptionally strong tightener clipses Skavas āķīši 16mm https://envo.lv/index.php?route=product/product&path=72&product_id=274. So, then in trials I got that any metallic bands are eating the barrel flesh, any fabric bands are disintegrating in water, but good solution are plastic enforced sandwich blades like these, which in extrem,e may carry even the tonn or more RS PRO Black Strapping Kit, 800m Length, 12mm Width | RS https://no.rs-online.com/web/p/strapping-kits-dispensers/0673080?cm_mmc=NO-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_NO_NO_Office_Supplies_Whoop-_-(NO:Whoop!)+Strapping+Kits+%26+Dispensers-_-673080&matchtype=&pla-329110306244&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI89221bvu-QIVzuN3Ch1pIQblEAQYASABEgJiTPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. Next project I started was for 12 barrels in the raw, but I bought a sailboat thus the project strucked in quarter-way :)

3. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

@Janis_59

I admit, I didn't visit all those links. I'm glad you picked up a proper boat. My initial reaction was OMG, but then I see you're in Riga, Latvia, not in the States so I have no idea what you have available to you. Best of luck to you.

4. Janis_59

Janis_59 Junior Member

I gave those links solely for purpose to visually understand what I mean, because sorry I have no idea what is the most convenient name in American English and no vocabulary may be helpful in this. I am sure You have identical goods in the stores. The use of right materials may help to stay away for less experienced mates to kill the good construction with one or few wrong ideas.

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Well, I wouldn't use plastic drums at all. If cost is a big concern, I'd suggest plywood amas or pontoons, fiberglass if you can, otherwise just glass the wetted joints. There are many examples of plywood pontoon boats or catamaran hulls. Some are simply constructed.

Another suggestion is to use a barge concept rather than a pontoon, a flat bottom barge would give you much more weight capacity, much greater buoyancy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.