Custom Montauk stability

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SHayward, Feb 28, 2017.

1. SHayward

SHayward New Member

Hi all
    I recently added a small pilot house to my Montauk and while works well for two people I am a bit worried about stability with more divers on board.
    I am considering adding 6-10 inches of width by glassing on ribs and a foam filled 3-5 inch plywood(closed cell foam sheeting?) hull extension to each side, tapering forward towards the bow.
    I will post pics soon. Any input is much appreciated.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Probability better to get a bigger boat than destroy the value by making such alterations.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Before making all those changes, have an NA analyze your boat and tell you what you can do to increase the number of divers, with safety guarantees.

4. Mr Efficiency

Boats like that have capacity limits specified by the makers, stick on the conservative side of that and all should be well.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

All boats have limited its capacity to carry people on board, limits that depend on several parameters. Acting on these parameters a connoisseur of the problem can increase or reduce the capacity.

6. Mr Efficiency

It should be marked on the builders plate, but stay well on the safe side, or get into a bigger vessel, seems the solution.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.