Wood or Seacast?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by dje556, Jun 16, 2014.

1. dje556

dje556 New Member

Wood or Seacast? I have an 1988 Chris Craft Amerosport 250 cabin cruiser with wood rot, transom, bulkhead infront of engine and aft cabin bed, motor mount beams and four stringers from stern to aft cabin beginning. I know the bulkheads are plywood, but the stringers and motor mount beams are not. Any ideas on what type of wood to use? I was thinking oak or does anyone know any info on seacast? pro and cons please.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

If you go to the bottom of this page, under "Similar Threads", similar threads are listed which might help.

I don't know how Seacast works for I/O transoms, I don't know why it wouldn't.

It sounds like everything in the boat is rotted. Repairing all this stuff has been done to death here as it seems half the boat sales in the US are old rotted boats sold to people who are unaware that in most older boats everything is rotted. If you do "searches" here in 'boatbuilding' and especially 'fiberglass boat building', using various catchwords like 'rotted', 'transom', 'stringers', 'decks', 'help', 'please help', 'WTF', etc, and always look at the bottom of the page for "Similar Threads", you can get a very good understanding on what's what, and then can ask more specific questions. 'Repair' is also a good one to search under.

If you post photos, usually you get more coherent help. I'm guessing this is the animal?

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.