Hellllllp!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by snapper340, Jun 11, 2003.

1. snapper340

snapper340 Junior Member

hey guys, thanks for the info on the i/o, vee drive problem! the project has been put on hold due to a pregnancy(my wife). but I do have another problem that I hope you can help me with. i have the opportunity to buy a Solo brand outboard motor (4 h.p.) and I can't find anything on them other than a company history. does anyone know if these motors were(or are) reliable? I think the price is right, but if the darn thing will break down all the time I don,t want to buy it. any input?:?:

2. EmilSB

EmilSB Junior Member

hi, I don't know is your brand, but try this:
    Manufacturers - Engines

Solo Engines
    Germany, Tel: 00 49 7031 301 132v

Solo 210 (Mainly used in foot launched PPGs)

P.S. I found this with www.altavista.com
    "solo+engines"

3. Dillon

Dillon New Member

What is the model number? where did you find the history?

4. danielfix

danielfix New Member

Snapper,
    You got one too! I think that makes two of us in the US. Yes, they are hard to find parts for. Especially electrical parts. And no there are none available. Solo has decided not to support the motor. Its too bad. Its a nice light little back packers motor. Solo makes lawn equipment now and high speed light weight motors for hang gliders and ultralights. I guess they make good motors. It would be interesting to start a web or discussion page for the motors and exchange parts. If you know of a running one or spare parts, please let me know. It really bugs me that these motor and equipment makers refuse to support their older stuff. Electrical and ignition parts are the worst. I do have a parts list though. I am looking for service and owners manuals.
    Regards,
    Dan Fix

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  5. Dillon

Dillon New Member

Hey Snapper, the solo motors are actually take offs from volvo, if you have a good one they are great motors but like you say parts could be a real problem. I had a 4hp and it was a great motor, a guy from germany emailed me and he said he had 2 of them and they were the best motors he had ever had. Check this place out if you have never heard of it, you won't believe the discouned price on some of the parts you can get there for the solo motors. They don't have every part but they do have alot of them. They are located in canada and gave me great service. good luck!http://lemmer.com/solo/long.htm

6. a1gatorz

a1gatorz New Member

Solo 4 hp

Hey all, New here. But it look likes Im the 3rd person who owns a Solo 4 hp. Just got it last week and am also looking for parts and info. Any help would be much appreiceiated! Thanks

7. lazza803

lazza803 New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.