Pontoon boat seating arrangement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Leveboat, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Leveboat

Leveboat Junior Member

Hello boaters! My husband and I are looking to purchase our first pontoon boat, and was hoping to get some insight on the seating floor plan. We found a 2016 Starcraft CX21R, which has two captains chairs in the middle of the deck, with two-sweater benches in each corner of the boat. My husband says it opens up the layout, and creates more floor space. I think it creates too much space between the front and back seats... then again, it would be pretty cool to be sitting side by side as co-captains :) we don't have kids (yet), and would mainly be for entertaining friemds/family.

Does anyone have experience with a layout like this? I realize it's probably a personal preference, but would love anyone's input! Pictures are attached for reference.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Seating and general accommodation arrangements tend to be pretty personal preference types of things. Try to access what your uses might need and plan accordingly. You'll find a divided seating arrangement pretty common, as most don't take their boat out with a full guest load most of the time, so a more intimate setting can be had with the aft seating close to the helm, typically around a table.

3. Leveboat

Leveboat Junior Member

Thanks for the input @PAR! Most of our friends have wakeboard boats, so we're not used to this type of relaxed riding. You're right, most of the time we will not have a full boat... though, I know our friends will be more than happy to hop on and take a break from pulling everyone behind their Malibu :)

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Your wakeboard friends will envy the beer carrying capacity and the BBQ on your pontoon. That layout has the advantage that when the captain seats are rotated, it makes kind of a circle with the whole seating arrangement.

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I WOULD not change anything until you you have several trips under your belt with and without company.

6. Leveboat

Leveboat Junior Member

You got that right @gonzo! :) Very true, I'm starting to like this layout more and more!

@rasorinc we are not going to change the layout. If we purchase, it's staying as is. We'll just add things like a cooler seat or BBQ

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.