Pontoon Boat Propulsion

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Cameroo, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Cameroo

Cameroo New Member

My Dad is building a pontoon boat and is not sure what to use for a propulsion system. He's using 55gal steel drums welded together for the pontoons and I believe it will be about 26-30 feet long and 9 feet wide. He knows of people that have built similar boats using a paddlewheel to drive it. I'm thinking that this is probably not the most efficient way of doing it. Will he be better off using an outboard motor? He plans on using it for joyriding, so it doesn't have to be all that fast. He's thinking about 10-20 km/hr. Has anyone ever built anything like this, and whats the best/cheapest/or most efficient way to do this?

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

a small outboard would probably be the easiest to use. I wouldn't go more than 10 hp.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.