pontoon boat design ideas

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by kocockahoe, Nov 8, 2009.

1. kocockahoe

kocockahoe New Member

I have many resources to choose from, just need some reassurance. I'm juggling the idea of material to use and pontoon design (round or square). I have the option of aluminum welded, pvc roound w/caps, or wood. Of course weight is a factor so i need to keep it somewhat light. It will remain in the water at all times so durability must be of high quality. My ideas were aluminum welded, but not sure if they should be round or square. I think it would be easier to break a 12ft sheet into a square and weld in baffels then roll up the nose sort of like a flatboat. I have access to many different types of material and machinery through my local union.

2. Big Will

Big Will New Member

I am currently battling a similar dilema! i have finally settled on using a flat pontoon design with a tapered nose. it will support more weight at half submersed than a round pontoon which will draft more because of the decrease in displacement. my problem is the structural design of the pontoon on which i attach the aluminum sheeting. how much is enough dont want to go overboard with for monetary reasons and weight.
    if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. my houseboat will be 18'x50' i am looking to support around 20 tons of weight.

thanks in advance for the ideas.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.