Pontoon Boat Decking and Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by beachinfun, Apr 26, 2015.

1. beachinfun

beachinfun New Member

Need some experienced input on pontoon deck coverings. Our 24' pontoon is in need of redesign. the previous owner had removed all the side seating leaving only the helm console and back sun deck over outboard area. There is a 4' area outside the railings with two fishing seats and trolling motor. The plywood is flooring is in good shape and may not need any replacing (can't verify until old carpet removed)

Carpet/Flooring is the first step to remodel. I have been considering coverings other than carpet. Has anyone used cool decking (commonly used around pools in FL) on a boat? will this work? It's non slip and cool to bare feet just not sure about weight and wear on a boat. ANY IDEAS??

Next I plan on putting all controls to the outside rail and reducing the helm area in center of boat. Controls on the rail will allow view from anywhere in boat not just behind the helm. Does anyone have pics of designs they would like to share? I have a friend that is going to help me (aka do most of the work) (yes I'm paying) He is a house contractor and has plans to put cubby holes and storage cabinets wherever possible. Including pole storage overhead under the metal canopy.

The final plan is to install a hideaway kitchen sink, pump to pump river/lake/bay water on boat for fish cleaning and wash down, live well and potable water tank for emergency. Possibly a small refrig. Unless something different is suggested probably will use and over the rail grill. There has been a sink suggestion a sink can be built such that it is stored above the water tanks and flips out over the rail for use. Sounded great until I thought about me cleaning the fish and them sliding out of my hand back into the water.

Again, I am dealing with a pretty well open floor plan. I have searched online for different photos but not finding the ideas or help I am searching for. Boats are like houses everybody uses their a little different and has different design or decorating ideas. I am hoping to find a kindred spirit that has already been there and done that. Thanks in advance.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Cool deck will work, though it's heavy (not good) and requires a very stable substrate, which unencapsulated plywood isn't. On your application it'll probably crack pretty quickly. Carpet on wooden and plywood decks has kept me working for years. It's about the worst material you can use, trapping moisture between it and the substrate, so rot can form.

You house contractor will likely over build and add a lot of weight to your boat with his techniques and methods. 2x4's and 3/4" plywood have very few places on a boat like yours and weight is the enemy of all small powerboats. He should be thinking 1x2's and 1/4" - 3/8" plywood instead.

The wash down or fishing cleaning sink is a good idea, though no need to reinvent the wheel, there's lots of these available (including folding ones), with simple pumps and drain systems.

Think light and stiff, with multi functional areas. As to pictures of deck boats and other pontoon boats, well the net is full of these things and a quick search, will yield thousands of hits. Of course, sorting through will take some time, but you'll get some ideas. A better idea is the local marinas and boat shows, where a hands on experience can really open your eyes, to what can be done. In the end it's up to your inventiveness., budget and willingness to "try it again" when something doesn't work out as well, as it did when you dreamed up the idea.

3. beachinfun

beachinfun New Member

If not Kool deck or carpet

Thanks for the reply. I am very concerned about weight and placement on pontoon. If the Kool Deck is too heavy and will crack and carpet traps moisture what am I left with?? Not really fond of vinyl. It will get hot and slick. I can't imagine that simple sealing and painting of plywood will look very nice not to mention the peeling.

I have own the boat for 12 months now and have sifted through thousands of photos. I have taken her out but as she is she is just not functional for successful fishing. You are absolutely right about the cabinetry and the contractor is ready to make adjustments. He is also a machinist that works with delicate metals including aluminum. what he is not is a fisherman or boat owner. That makes it a little difficult.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are several options in regard to decking treatments, for simply painted to simulated teak looking stuff. It's about budget and skill sets really. For your boat, the last thing you'll want is a slippery surface once some wayward fish guts get splattered. The cheapest way is to epoxy down a 'glass sheathing, over the raw plywood, then apply a texture, either in the epoxy or the paint. If the texture is in the epoxy (an application technique) it's very durable, if it's in the paint, not so much, but it can always be repainted.

Make a list of the things you think are most essential, prioritizing as you feel necessary. This will help guide your decision making process in terms of things to buy, install, include with the remodel, etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.