Pond Cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alan_VA, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Alan_VA

Alan_VA Junior Member

I have been asked to design and help build a boat for a friend. My professional experience has been in sea-going vessels only. Requirements:

Operates only on a pond; stored dry
    Lapstrake, neo-classical appearance, figurehead on stem.
    Seat 4 middle aged non-athletic adults (women in voluminous dresses)
    Cruise speed 3 kts
    Max speed 5 kts
    Strongly prefer electric propulsion

Would also explore a design that seats 6.

Given the intended use, I'm thinking strong bilge chines and broad transom. Are there any plans already out there that might be a good starting point, or am I in completely new territory? Can this be done (reasonably well) in 16-18 ft LWL?

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

18-20' victorian punts or wherrys are what you describe, but you say you want electric propulsion. You will want to go look at the ELCO launches. www.elcomotoryachts.com.

3. MatthewDS

MatthewDS Senior Member

4. Alan_VA

Alan_VA Junior Member

MatthewDS - Thanks for the pointers. The requirements set was all about slow and elegant, and I failed to consider the power levels of earlier days, and the boat styles thereby required.

Alan

5. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

Electric Cruiser

The easiest way to get a good electric cruiser is to buy a used fiberglass sailboat on e-bay, cut out the centerboard well, and glass in a propeller shaft. Sailboats with bad sails or a broken mast go for a song on e-bay, I bought mine, with trailer, for $108. Yahoo groups, electric boats, has a description about building an electric Javelin. I have been cruising with this boat for 5 years now, good for 4 adults, so something a little larger would be required for 6 passengers.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.