Polyurethane Foam

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bart01, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Bart01

Bart01 Junior Member

Hey Guys,

Does anyone has an idea if PU foams are used in the Boat Manufactury Industry? I'm currently looking at this solution but I am wondering if these foams are already in used somewhere by professionals ... ?

Does anyone can Help?

Thx

Bart

2. grob

grob www.windknife.com

Most rudders and centreboards for Dinghies such as the laser are made from polyurethane foam.

Gareth

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If it's the two-part foam you pour then it's not really a good marine foam. It absorbs water over time and is more of a heat insulation for dry (out of water) places.

4. johnnykidd

johnnykidd Junior Member

years ago i went to the chicago boat exibit.......they gave me a 2 part sample of it in air pressureized containers that mixed out of one nozzle....the boat we were building at the time had a deep v in it only half way then the v got smaller as u went to the back of the boat.....we thought it would be a good sound deading point....it was....then i used it for a floor job.....took out the floor and laid in the new on then i thought floatation ????????.....ok dill a small hole in the floor fill it with the foam there u go.......ok forgot about the expansion and it poped up the floor.........live and learn

5. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Check some of my pics and you will see what a idiot can do with polly foam

6. johnnykidd

johnnykidd Junior Member

where the pics butch........i would like to see

7. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Jonny for your vewing pleasure .This boat was coverd in the stuff.The chap I bought her from is a idiot

Attached Files:

8. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Click the link for the English PDF near the bottom of the page...

http://www.finnfoam.fi/

You'll find this PU foam has been used in boats, although unconventional boats.

9. johnnykidd

johnnykidd Junior Member

ouch......i didnt know it came in green.....it kinda looks like my friends garage wall........lol.......maybe he tried to glue it back together with the stuff u think......what did u do about it ?

10. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

The foam they use in the gold mines over here that comes in aerosol cans are especially dyed green.... to identify it when stolen:!:

11. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Wynand thats interesting. I didnt ask the chap where had worked prior to spinning the boat fundi story.I realy dont care what colour this stuff is or if it comes from outer space.Knowing him he stole the stuff . I removed about 7 garbage bags of the stuff. He used it to try and stop the leaks in the deck. Problem I could fit my head through some of these holes.No problem that six or seven cans cant fix:D

12. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Here is the proof Butch - all are green with different shades. BTW, this one was obtained with permission from a senior mining official.

Attached Files:

13. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yeah, that's what they all say. :D

14. Bart01

Bart01 Junior Member

Sorry, are you sure it is PU foam? Looks more like Polystyrene Foam I Think ... Let me know if I missed something.

Thx anyway for your income ;)

15. Bart01

Bart01 Junior Member

Thx Guys,

indeed, I didn't thought that PU in contact with water could bring such issues .. lol ... I think I will try first to use it in "free water" area lol. ..

Another stupid question ^^ Do you think such foam could replace the epoxy/Glass Fiber of the body coat? Physical properties of PU could fit (weight, strenght ...). Did anyone already tried it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.