CAD drawings for a gentleman’s runabout

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hardguy007, Apr 5, 2020.

1. hardguy007

hardguy007 Junior Member

Hi,

I’m wondering if there’s any CAD drawings about for a gentleman’s runabout. No real specs in mind...probably 12ft - 20ft, outboard or electric.

I’m liking the idea of getting a cad drawing and getting the frames cnc cut.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Do you have any photos of any boats that take your fancy? If so, could you post them (or links) on here?
    Re getting the frames 'cnc cut', are you thinking about an aluminium boat in particular?

3. hardguy007

hardguy007 Junior Member

No, ply frames. It’s relatively cheap to cnc them so would save me some time. I was for purchasing the plans for the rb16 from boat builders central but they only come in PDF so would take a lot more work to get them to a dwg or dxf file

rb16.jpg

4. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I don't doubt you could find something somewhere.You might do better to buy a set of plans from a designer with a track record and go from there.Some designers include the information for CNC cutting of components and they have the fairly reasonable desire to be paid for their work.You could take a look at Selway Fisher's website.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

12 to 20 feet, is a very wide range, the former is bodily about a quarter the size of the latter, but perhaps you are a diminutive gentleman. I'm not even sure I'm a gentleman ! :p There was a thread where a fella built a beautiful little mahogany runabout, if that's would you call it, I think about 15 feet. Looked beaut, but to find it here, not so easy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.