Teak interior paneling available in (Australia) ??

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CheoyLee39, May 13, 2014.

1. CheoyLee39

CheoyLee39 Junior Member

Good Morning

I am just trying to locate teak sheet for interior paneling on my Cheoy Lee 39. If there are any suppliers in either Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Cairns where I can walk in and purchase sheet paneling I would be very grateful to hear.
    Also if anyone knows rough costs of teak that would be great.

Cheers

2. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

I was curious about this. I might need some soon so did some searching. These guys are in Sydney but seem to be able to supply teak ply in various thicknesses.
    http://www.sydneywood.com.au/Marine-Plywood-Veneers.asp

I'm going to the 'Timber & Working with Wood' show in Brisbane on Friday, will let you know if I locate a Qld supplier.

Cheers - Brian

3. CheoyLee39

CheoyLee39 Junior Member

Thanks Brian
    I appreciate the reply and link, very helpful.
    I did have a little search on the net, but had no luck, the link you provided seems a good point to start.
    My yacht is located in Cairns, so any supplier between Melbourne and Cairns is a good option.
    I will be posting future questions re: replacing internal/external panel work. It is something worth tackling without paying someone. The Cheoy Lee Offshore still retains much of the original interior panel work, some needs replacing and some missing. Sadly the original teak decking that covered the entire flat sloping top deck was replaced with non slip paint. The duel cockpits have been fully restored with teak, also the hatches.
    I love the look of the teak, some seem to feel it not worth the effort or expense. However I could not disagree more :) it is a fabulous timber.
    Please keep me informed of your results at the 'wood' show.

Regards: Ralph

4. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Ralph
    Just got back from the timber show. It was mostly tools, both hand and power plus a lot of woodturning and craft folks. The only wood/timber there was blanks for wood turning, table making etc with no real suppliers of veneers or veneered ply.

So nothing to add for potential suppliers for you.

5. CheoyLee39

CheoyLee39 Junior Member

Cheers Brian

The link you supplied seems positive. Once I have tackled the urgent issues that need attention I will contact the supplier in Sydney and see what they have to offer.

Ralph :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.