Polyester Resin / Marine Varnish newbie question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Greg Vasquez, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Greg Vasquez

Greg Vasquez New Member

Howdy,
    I recently applied polyester resin and cloth but ran out of resin so what is on is only unwaxed resin that I intended to layer more. I was waiting 3 hours between coats but now I'm stuck in a rural area near no suppliers and it's been 1/2 a day now. Can I use a Marine Spar Varnish at this point to help cure the unwaxed resin? I was originally told I had to apply the waxed resin final coat, then sand and varnish. Thanks for your Help

Greg

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Greg

Are more layers of cloth/ resin going to be applied?
    It is unadvisable to trap varnish within the laminate stack,
    Most formulations of varnish won't properly adhere to fresh resin and never to wax.
    I never add wax to any resin, it will cure without it,
    I advise covering with heavy plastic sheeting. When you are ready to continue, sand thourally with coarse grit. Use peal-ply with final layer of resinated cloth. When it cures simply pull the peal-ply off and varnish to your heart's content.

Paul

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with leaving the surface sticky. The next lamination will bond to it. If you want, a light wipe with acetone or styrene will clean the surface before laying on the next.