FG and wood question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Rich M, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Rich M

Rich M Junior Member

I haven't been around for a while - however, just built another small FG & plywood boat. This one is 10 ft long, 44 inches wide, and weighs about 80#.

I used 1/4 inch plywood and then 7-1/2 oz E cloth inside and out. The inside and outside seams were taped twice with 3 inch tape. Mid-grade polyester resin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had 2 questions - would I gain much strength by using 8 or 9 oz satin weave cloth over the 7-1/2 oz "regular weave" on the outside of the hull?

The second question pertains to applying the FG tape before or after the FG cloth - is it just as strong either way? Or is it better one way or the other?

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Most builders use tape 1st then full glass over that after feathering. One layer of glass is for waterproofing only and scratch resistence. You get a little cohesion from it but not true strength. The wood provides the strength.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

What makes you think you need to re-inforce?

4. Rich M

Rich M Junior Member

Its one of those "always try to do better" things.

I designed the boat over several years of building similar boats (8 ft boats) - always trying new twists and such. The boat worked out very well in its test run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blumcB0x2Is

I'd like to build another one that is about 10-15# lighter than this one by using lighter transom and bulkhead wood - and lighter flotation foam - and doing something else for a motor mount instead of 2 big pieces of 3/4 inch ply.

So, I'd just like to improve on the last one.

If I can gain any significant strength in slightly heavier FG, I would like to.

OR if I would be better off using S cloth and or epoxy resin.

I'm looking at my last boat build for a while due to finances and a possible move in the near future.