Polycore for flat sheet catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by b_rodwell, Feb 14, 2011.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Hey mate. Yeah I have been able to do a few full days of manual labour so my legs getting there. I'm still not in the mood yet to build your awesome dingy, maybe one day :) Polycore and this PET foam are made of the same stuff right? I thought they were both Polyethylene?

2. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

No need to sell me on the intelligent infusion. I'm sold that its the best way to build many composite structures. I was trying to point out that if this PET foam is fairly heavy, and not that stiff that perhaps it may not work out much better than ply in some cases weight wise? I still have not seen the real world price difference, can you fill us in Sailhand? I guess price would have to be MUCH better given the total cost of the finished boat. Perhaps the financial savings mean lithium batteries and a carbon mast? But then again if you are buying a carbon mast I suspect you would not want a heavy core.

I am back in Bris but have no boat due to a separation. I also don't have a drone. I want to help where I can but that opportunity is gone now. :(

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Polycarbonate 'Honeycomb'

Hi Dennis in particular,

The 'polycore' material we are discussing here is all basically polypropylene plasic honeycomb based.,...correct?
    There has been no discussion of polycarbonate honeycomb if I remember correctly.

I seem to remember that the polycarbonate plastic was much superior to the polypropylene plastic in terms of strength, as well as bondability? It got me to wondering why there was not more discussion about utilizing such a core?

There is even a current manufacture of such a core material....
    https://www.plascore.com/honeycomb/honeycomb-cores/thermoplastic/

...and in facf both the cell structures from this manufacturer come in a cylindrical form rather than a hexagonal shape 'cells'...
    https://www.plascore.com/download/datasheets/honeycomb_data_sheets/Plascore_PC2.pdf

Might both this shape and higher strength of the polycarbonate material make it superior to the polypropylene honeycomb as a core material ??
    1) I'm thinking it might have a superior shear strength.
    2) the 'cylindrical cell ends' might give a slighter better surface area to bond the plate skins to, as well as a better material to make a bond possible.

Anyone care to do a bit more research?....I'm kind of busy at the moment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.