Transom platform

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by SeriolaDumerili, Dec 6, 2010.

1. SeriolaDumerili

SeriolaDumerili Junior Member

Hello everybody,
    I want to build a transom platform for my GradyWhite. Should carry about 150 kg's. My idea is to insert 5 pieces of L shape foam (in the drawing is only three). Between these reinforcements are thru hull bolts. I will infuse epoxy and I have enough 200g carbon for 3 layers and 450g biax cloth. Can you give me some hints about fiber and and foam thickness? How many layers on the bolts side?
    Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

IMO, forget the foam, put two more verticle braces (like the sides of the thing), even out your bolts top to bottom (spread out their load, you can't put them all at the bottom and with a platform like this, you can't put them all at the top either as the forces from under the platform will be multiples greater than the weight of 150 kg. on top - and you don't want them in a row). There are people here better suited to advise on laminate schedual. post pictures as you progress. - Mark

3. SeriolaDumerili

SeriolaDumerili Junior Member

ok, I can put two bolts vertically connected with a backplate. Your solution with braces is better, these tight corners on braces will kill me - it will be very dificult (for a novice like me) to place all the fabrics and tubes under. Maybe is beter to infuse without braces and laminate after.
    thank you for your answer