Sizing a hotwater and pressure tank for a ship

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JCL Design, Dec 30, 2022.

1. JCL Design

JCL Design Designer

I'm looking for a good reference book or paper for sizing a ships hotwater and pressure tanks any ideas?

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

It depends on the type of vessel, the crew/passenger size/ratio, the intended service, and the outfitting. For something like a 4 man fishing vessel, think house on a well (i.e. water source pumped to accumulator feeding the hot water heater); for a cruise ship it is most likely given in the SOR from company knowledge. For most good sized vessels (~60 foot +) pressure is a pumped with only a small(ish) air header, draws from static tankage and heating is on demand. Lots of synergy with other systems, i.e. don't need to feed more water than the drains can handle, LP air maintains pressure, etc.

EDIT; sorry I didn't answer the question. I'm pretty sure that for the US; there are rules for potable water systems in the USCG rules/CFR. Not sure exactly where; would need to research. But I'm pretty sure it only covers installation and allowance, not sizing. For smaller vessels check out ABYC H-23 INSTALLATION OF POTABLE WATER SYSTEMS FOR USE ON BOATS

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  3. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

I don't know the ABYC standards but here are the ASHRAE's standards (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers)
    Hot water demand Table is 13.2 gal a day per person for a standard residential usage.
    https://www.ashrae.org/File Library/Technical Resources/Standards and Guidelines/Standards Addenda/90-2-2001_adde.pdf

ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 62.2-2022 Ventilation and Acceptable Indoor Air Quality in Residential Buildings is not less than 15 cubic feet of air exchanged per minute - per person.:eek:
    The Standard 62.2, ASHRAE’S consensus residential ventilation and IAQ standard for dwelling units with nontransient occupants. The standard describes the minimum requirements to achieve acceptable IAQ via dwelling-unit ventilation, local mechanical exhaust, and source control.
    Standards 62.1 & 62.2 https://www.ashrae.org/technical-resources/bookstore/standards-62-1-62-2

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.