Pod Hull Extensions

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Katoh, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Colleges
    I would like to know the theory or if there being one on bod extensions to the transom of the boat, I have a plate Aluminum boat with two of these extensions on the transom under a swim platform. The stern drive leg sits in the middle , and each pod extends aprox 1.5' aft, they are welded plate and actually carry on in the same shape as the hull lines.
    It will be a while until I have this vessel in the water, so its quite difficult to actually see what these do if anything, and because I did not own the vessel prior to having these extensions put on, its hard to make a comparison between before and after.
    My initial thoughts were they were for extra buoyancy in the rear, but being an I/O and a custom built vessel, I could not see why they would be needed, the other is maybe to add an extra length to the hull, or because floor line is 7" above the chine line at the transom makes for a flirty boat, could they be to add stability at rest?
    Whats your thoughts.
    I have a photo but don't know how to add.
    Thanks
    Katoh

2. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

There was a fairly comprehensive discussion on these in the boat design section last July, should be helpful.

3. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Do you have the name of the post or a link to it? Ill like to have a read of that.
    Thanks

4. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

I can't find the thread in boat design ,but if you click on my name and go to page 7 of my posts it is near the bottom. dated 28 July 2010.The thread was started by HJS and was called "extensions to a planing hull." There are a few others on this subject in boat design ,worth a troll through.

5. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.