IPS who likes them ??

Discussion in 'Pod Drives' started by tunnels, Apr 28, 2011.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Just put a boat in the water with a pair of IPS drives and twin 435 hp volvo motors .
    The electroinics look a bit scary to me ! Luck we have lots of lakes and fresh water but how does everything last in the salt air enviroment . electrics and salt dont mix to will coupled with time !
    What good and whats bad with them ?? :confused:

2. boatbuilderbris

boatbuilderbris Junior Member

ips units on a custom powercat "the javelin"

i was feeling very special at the controls of a brand new build on its maiden voyage.

the cat is 42' long and based loosley on an offshore cat 1 racer with all the creature comforts of home

at 12 tons wet the vessel left the water like a hover craft and reached 35kts in no time at this point the volvo mechanics said full lock turn (i must admit that this was not what i was expecting (we had 8 people on board and an untride hull)
    wow!!!!

it pulled a full lockturn at 35kts like a slotcar

docking with the ips fun!!!!!!!!

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Thats a possitive start ! Yeah can imagine then working really good in cats ! Cat or a tunnel hull ??
    I used to make tunnels and they do go round corners like a slot car wven with twin anything outboard , stern drives or surface drives , Yes i was also impressed with docking with the wind and coming away from the dock to .
    iTS ALL THE ELECTRONICS IN THE LONG TERM that i am concerned with multi plugs and lots a terminals etc etc . Fresh water situation not to much of a prolem but the long term in the salt enviroment !!
    The company is building for export and i am personally a sticker for details and durability there of Interesting and hope all goes well for you . Our 46 foot mono is close to 10+ ton's . 3200 on the tacho and 33.2 knots in fresh water . Bit faster in salt water and once the motors have a few hours up and loosen a little . :D

4. Karl2

Karl2 Junior Member

3,200 and 33.2 knots. Was that WOT ?

If so you are 400 rpm shy of were you need to be. Two prop sizes down would get you 400.

Karl2

5. boatbuilderbris

good customer sevice

i have my doubts about electronic controled propullsion systems too but it seems to be the way of the future and has so far been fine ! only time will tell

in the mean time my tiller / metho stove and charts will sufice

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

All modern jets have full computer controlled engines.
    Most crashes these days are caused by the new generation of pilots that no longer know how to fly

7. boatbuilderbris

what !

sorry i thought i was on a boat design forum, not modern aeronautics or facebook and if any one can decipher the last sentence let me know

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I assume you are a VolvoPenta dealer/installer. Otherwise, you can't set up the system. They are very reliable and efficient.

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

(Sorry I was a bit off topic there)
    It isnt the technology its the user
    are you saying time will tell before you trust a computer...where have you been for the last 30 years

10. boatbuilderbris

sorry

i would have reponded sooner but our sever was clogged and could not get the internet also we had to do a viris scan and get rid of all the junk mail to see if someone is trying to hack our details but our network kept dropping out.

no i love computers!

by the way it took four goes to set the volvo system up as wiring had been reversed and the coolant level alarm is still on(checked)5 times ect ect ect

11. boatbuilderbris

sorry gonzo

definetly not a volvo dealer we dont do mechanics only our own boats!

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Anyone starting to hear problems of ips boats being underpowered due to the way volvo market them re ips 400 is 289 hp but should work where a shaft drive would be 400?
    I now know of 2 boats where they struggle when the tanks full and esky full and they just wont get on the plane ( or will after several minutes) if going upwind etc.
    large court cases underway
    US production builders

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

All the boats I've seen that went from straight shaft to IPS are faster. For example, the Regal Marine boats.

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

with the same engine?
    so propped for higher speed but when under load they cant do it as now overpropped?
    I think they are trying to sell faster with smaller engines?
    Speed is not the issue with a cruiser, i'm sure if you cut half the diameter off the props, emptied the tanks it would propably go faster as long as it got on the plane (for the magazine review)

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Same boat, with the same load but changing to IPS. The speed increased slightly with less horsepower.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.