Traditional Galician fishing boat.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Guillermo, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Do you like this one?
    It was build by galician boatwrights to a design I did on a traditional galician type of fishing boat called 'Racú', quite common in the south of Galicia. Initially only sailing boats, for some time they used both sail and motor, like this unit. Her name is "A Oleira" ("The Pot" in galego)

Attached Files:

2. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

What is the biggest size for this type of boat.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are common in South America in Uruguay and Argentina. Many Spanish boatbuilders brought their home designs when they emigrated. I apprenticed under a Spaniard.

4. Guillermo

'Racús' were fishing boats 5 to 10 m long, bred in the north of Spain 'Traineras' and the Galician 'Xeiteiras'. Was extensively used for fishing the Galician Rías and coast from the beginning of the 20th century till around 1970, when they begun to dissapear. When they lost sails (60's) they became to be known as 'Motoras de Bouzas' being Bouzas a tiny village close to Vigo.
    Originally sailing boats, later mounted also locally produced engines (heavy, little powered and prone to failures, reason to keep sails). Stern evolved from a fine one to wide and rounded, when engines were incorporated. Also structure was reinforced.
    Original rig was a 'mystic' one, very simple to handle, not the gaff rig used for the reconstruction. See in the attache image the 'mystic' rig in a 'Dorna', another typical Galician tarditional fishing boat, evolved from the norwegian drakkars.

Attached Files:

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

good tested boat...... nice

6. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Nice fishing boat that I 've seen during my trips to Galicia...

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Nice boat Guillermo.

Guillermo I am interested in traditional boats and I have Googled for Galician traditional boats and got nothing.
    Can you give me the names of the Galician traditional boats?

I guess that you are going to recognize this one, it is a traditional Peniche Traineira. This boat, as you know, has a Galician origin, from Vigo I think.

PS. Have a look at my gallery, I have posted there some traditional Portuguese boats.

Attached Files:

8. Guillermo

Paulo,
    I've already visited your gallery. Beautiful boats!
    Some of the names for Galician traditional boats:
    Dorna, Gamela, Bote Polbeiro, Racú, Galeón de Arousa, Buceta, Lancha Xeiteira, Traineira, Lancha de Relinga....
    You'll find links to wooden boats matters in Galicia (and not only) in my company's pages: http://www.gestenaval.com/carpinteria_ribera.htm
    The Traineira came from the Basque country into Galicia. Probably evolved from the basque whale boats. You'll find more detailed info at: http://www.gipuzkoakultura.net/museos/untzi/pdf/arbex.pdf (In spanish)
    Cheers.

9. Guillermo

Big charter wooden vesel being built in Spain.

I'm going to use this thread to post this, as I do not want to open a new one.
    In the village of Bermeo, Basque country, they are building a 51 m LH wooden sailing boat (ship?), 8,40 m breadth and 900 sqm sail area. Construction techniques are traditional ones. The vessel will be christened as "Ibercin" and will be available for charter.
    More info (in spanish) at: http://servicios.elcorreodigital.co...a/noticias/Vizcaya/200605/20/VIZ-VIZ-079.html

Attached Files:

10. 1995 crew

1995 crew Junior Member

Galician Wooden Boats "dorna" Xeiteira

Hello,

I would like to add this link to the web page from Real e Ilustre Cofradía da Dorna from Riveira (A Coruña- NW Spain) and the blog asociated ith the sailing school as well. I am sorry both pages are in Galician but my aim is to start including more english contents related to pictures about "Dorna" sailing.

http://www.eniac-informatica.com/dorna/escolavela/index.htm

www.cofradiadadorna.com

http://dorna.blogsome.com/

There you can find some pictures which might be of your interest.

will come back with more news soon

Regards

Adrian

11. Guillermo

Hola, Adrian!
    Welcome to these forums and long life to the "Real e Ilustre Cofradía da Dorna"! :)

12. 1995 crew

1995 crew Junior Member

Dorna Pictures

Hello everybody,

En primer lugar muchas gracias Guillermo por tu bienvenida

I have just posted some new pictures from the biggest Dorna of the "Xeiteira" type from the Cofradía da Dorna in Riveira; her name is "Jalerna", it is 6.7 m length overall, 2.10 m beam and 1.20 m depth. It has a 8 m length detachable pine mast and 22 m2 sail (relinga type, as usual).

It was built in 1996 at the "Irmáns Ayaso" dorna builders in Aguiño - Riveira.

The pictures hav been taken after the last repair works carried out recently in Riveira. Please note the new figurehead we have added at the bow. Can be found at http://dorna.blogsome.com/ again I'm sorry since it is only in Galician language, I will try to make an effort next time....

:D

Best regards,

13. Guillermo

Interesting figurehead, Adrian...And interesting 'Jalician' language...:D

14. Vega

Vega Senior Member

This season I have cruised in Galician waters and I have seen some nice traditional boats.

I have taken some photos:

Attached Files:

• z2.JPG
      z2.JPG
      File size:
      120.7 KB
      Views:
    • z4.JPG
      z4.JPG
      File size:
      108 KB
      Views:
    • z6.JPG
      z6.JPG
      File size:
      119.1 KB
      Views:
    • z7.JPG
      z7.JPG
      File size:
      84.4 KB
      Views:

15. Guillermo

Nice photos from nice boats, Paulo.
    I see you've been at the Pontevedra Ría.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.