Laminated frame timber selection

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Cutta, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Cutta

Cutta Junior Member

I'm looking at laminating frames (and keel/stem), for a 45' lod, originally carvel design sailboat, but now utilising strip planked/cold mold (dry bilge) hull skin instead - still using the original scantlings (& full frame) - I know that it could be altered and pared back, but so would the character plus the whole design & structure, so if I can simply alter the 'planking' type so be it.

My query is about the framing timber (laminated with West epoxy) - for stern frames (bends) I have in my possession some celery top pine (it's an excellent material for the purpose, and known as such in Australian boat-building), and I am still choosing/acquiring material for the other frames - bow frames (x4) can be sawn.

I can access Sapele and Honduras (Fijian) mahogany easily, and I already have some New Guinea Rosewood that would well seem appropriate (it ticks all the boxes except for bending but there's no particular tradition of it here for boat frames, probably due to bending? issues - basically the same timber as Andeman Padouk) - I don't seem to be able to choose.

Original spec is of course W. oak and D.Fir, but that ain't happening here, and I prefer more rot resistant species anyways.

Darryl - from Oz

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You might as well go on the light side for the frames, as their role isn't as significant as they would be in a carvel. The celery top will do fine.