plywood power trimaran or cat design

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by daruffians, Jun 25, 2013.

1. daruffians

daruffians Junior Member

Hello all, i am new here and I have been thinking of building a catamaran or trimaran made of wood in the island of Homonhon Island. I would like to ask if you could direct me to a proven design that i could purchase or see. Any assistance would greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Edwin

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Wood as in solid timber, or plywood ? You need to specify what kind of usage you have in mind, and whether open waters or protected.

4. daruffians

daruffians Junior Member

Thank you for the quick reply. It will be use for open waters.. Marine plywood since it is available locally.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

In what country or part of the world is Homonhon Is?

Here is my design that is more like a cathedral hull and only one was made by me in 1972. Ultra easy to build and minimal materials required. She's an ultralight design and won't carry much load but if kept light she performs wonderfully.

Attached Files:

6. daruffians

daruffians Junior Member

I was wondering if someone in this forum have built a woods design skoota 28 or 36? @ Easy Rider.. Homonhon Island is in the very tip of Eastern part of the Philippines. Also, i like your design if you could post some more info on that.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

daruffians,
    I designed the Easy Rider in college about 1970. I was amazed by the boat Moppie designed by Ray Hunt and the offspring she spawned. I lusted for the smooth ride but was turned off by the power it took to drive them. So I set off to dream up a shape that would do the ride w much less power. I won.

But the hull I came up w was intolerant of much weight. I built her very light (mostly 3/8" ply) and gave her a 55hp OB. Speed was very dependent on weight. Loaded for our trip down south from Alaska I had to swap out props for 11 knots. I'd increase pitch as fuel (50 gal or so) burnt off. Mostly she ran around 14 knots as seen in the pics.

Ride was very soft. Directional stability very high (occasionally to a fault). Attitude was very level and she turned very well considering her hull shape. Before I built the cabin she turned perfectly flat. After the cabin was built she banked some but less than most boats.

The Rider dosn't exist anymore and no other boats were built. The Rider was 28' long and 9'2" wide. The cabin was 1/4" ply and the windows Lexan. Because of her inability to carry much of a payload I saw no commercial value in the design but for someone tolerant of the lightness factor she was a great boat.

I jumped the wake of large vessels flying through the air mostly and almost went over backwards in 50+ mph winds. The Rider was a fun and capable boat .......... but light.

The proportions in the drawing are different that the Easy Rider but shows the basic hull form.

Attached Files:

8. daruffians

daruffians Junior Member

That looks good there Easy Rider. I have been looking at many website that offers boat design it just a matter of which one I can afford and tested already.