plywood or cedar strips?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by robertgrandbois, Jun 6, 2010.

1. robertgrandbois

robertgrandbois Junior Member

I am restoring an old plywood boat. My wife says she would like to see it covered with cedar strip instead of plywood can that be done? I think it would be a much better looking boat.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Anything can be done though cedar strips have to be glassed inside and out. How do you do that where frames and stringers get in the way?
    the answer is, depending on how much weight plays a role in the boat's usability, you may be able to install a thinner plywood first and then epoxy thin strips fore and aft (then epoxy/glass/varnish the exterior using a layer of light glass).
    The result would be a strong and not too heavy, I think.

3. robertgrandbois

robertgrandbois Junior Member

ok thanks i will go on with the original plan then tell the wife to stay out of my shop. It is my only peaceful retreat.

4. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Some thoughts: the glass provides the cross-grain strength that the cedar strips lack. With a typical strip build the inside is smooth so glass can be applied to both sides. However a hundred years ago the cedar strips would have had many closely-spaced steam-bent ribs whcich would have done the same thing. So if you have frames inside, it seems to me that's got one side covered - metaphorically speaking - so the ply isn't necessary and only the outside needs to be glassed which would be a lot easier. Of course, this is all theoretical if you are half-way through the job by now!