Help for big mistake with epoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jfblouin, Apr 29, 2006.

1. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Last week, I made a big mistake with epoxy. I laminated a 15.2 oz 0-90 fiberglass on a bare wood hull (inside). I need 8 x 1 pounds epoxy batch.
    For two batch, I made a big mistake. One was 5:2 ratio and another one was 10:1 ration. My epoxy need 5:1 ration. For each mistake, when I understood my mistake, I spread a lot of good ratio epoxy over the mistake and I try to mix batch as best as possible with a plastic skeegee. One week later, at 90 F, I cant find any difference between section of laminate. I remove somes small fiberglass patch over air bubble from each area and I cant find difference. All epoxy look hard.

What is your comment and help about that?

2. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

I have taken epoxy and fixed other people mis mixing and have been successful, had no problems. Don't like to do it and should try to refrain from mis mixing. Try a 2:1 epoxy it helps, not quite as critical.

3. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Unless you make a really big mixing error, most epoxies will get hard (especially 2/1’s). However, they will not have the same physical properties as if it were mixed properly. The consequences of this could be no big deal, or catastrophic.

If you were just coating wood for encapsulation and the mix ratio was off, its not to big a problem.

If the glass you were laminating was structural (more than just abrasion resistance) then your composite structure will be weaker if there was not enough hardener in the mix.

From the sound of it, i think you are OK

Joel
    Boatbuildercentral.com

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

the ratio mix for epoxy is important ,but if it is off a little will retard the cure time or speed it up , you said u mixed some of the good batch with the bad batch and it went hard you will be alright if it was still soft a week later then you have trouble dont worry you are safe in future get two cups one for part a and part b and mark them this way you will be on the money every time and save time

5. pashbe1

pashbe1 Junior Member

fun mistake

my favorite epoxy mistake todate was forgetting the hardener entirely and mixing filler into the resin. I didn't even notice for 2 years! that the epoxy had never cured! This was a non critical, fastened joint on a piece of furniture I built for my wife. She never liked it so 2 years later when I was throwing it out I stuck my finger in the uncured resin.:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.