Chrome paint

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Doug Lord, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Does anybody have any experience with a excellent quality chrome paint?
    Is it made in a two part polyurethane? Thanks!

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

All I've used is the spray bomb stuff with a poly clearcoat on top. Can put candy on and it looks super.
    Wet sanded with 3000 grit to get the orange peel out.

If you're doing just a small area I'd recommend the bombs,larger areas (depending on use and size/shape) I'd say a wrap film.

Innate on youtube has vids.

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday doug - Yes they do make it & yes you can spray it. We sprayed Chrome over a specific primer on fiberglas bathroom fixtures a long time ago. It worked well but I'd forgotten all about it. Sorry - I should have mentioned it - but it had slipped my mind (or lack there of).

The 'very' young Canuck seems to be in the know.
    Hey Canuck what are 'bombs' & what is 'wrap film' - ??? - I'm not familiar with your terms - been away far to long & they aren't terms used here. I've been in the yachting & painting industry for a whike now but am not familiar with the lingo. Please explain - - Doug may already know - but I'd like to know also. Thanks, ciao, james

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

======================
    James, I think-bomb=spray can. Wrap=vinyl wraps that are replacing paint in some applications. Thats worth checking into though I haven't seen a chrome wrap yet. Thanks West for the idea......

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

James-ironically I picked up the term "spray bomb" when in Australia.

Of course neither the paint nor the wraps look like real chrome but they are close.
    In London I've seen exotic cars with the (quite garish and tacky) chrome look and it's all done with wraps. Apparently quite popular in Dubai-go figure.

Most matte colours on very high end are wraps,though it can be special ordered for $$,$$$.
    Many colours- copper and aluminum,carbon fibre look,etc
    You can change the colour of your car for not much,a quality paint job would be $20k on a high end car.The good thing is they protect from chips,and can be peeled off.

Edit: Yes Par is right-in my climate they're OK,but in Southern US broiling in the sun for 7 months a year the films likely won't last.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, chrome wraps, but they don't last that long, nor have the gloss or gloss retention of plating.

Chrome can be put on anything now, as my chrome guy tells me. He's chromed plastics, rubber and claims he can chrome water in a bucket, though it will not last long. I've seen him do it on plastics, and it's still plating, though plastics are etched and different metal combinations applied, to make the chrome stick.

Spray chrome is usually aluminum oxide in suspension (single or multiple part). This doesn't really look like chrome, though it's better under clear coats. If the film thickness is deep enough, you can buff the aluminum up, then clear coat, but it still looks like polished aluminum for the most part.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

1 person likes this.
  8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

---------------------
    Teddy, that is absolutely spectacular stuff! I signed up for their catalog. At first glance it seems probably too expensive for Crossbow fl at this time. But thanks for the lead on this company. I still haven decided on a "chrome" color because the sensible part of me says that it is too "garish"-the wilder part says go for it.......

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

At $1,500 a gallon it better damn well apply itself . . .

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

11. Bomlo

Bomlo Junior Member

I agree that most apply commercial apply shows don't estimated chrome,This has to do with the differences in area structure between a coated area and a conventional metal pigment.
    Floor Scale

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.