What is this boat shape called & Need a restoration checklist please

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Pyxi, May 3, 2009.

1. Pyxi

Pyxi New Member

Hi

We have just been given a 17" wooden boat! Can anyone tell me what type of boat she is? We think perhaps a fishing boat. Does this shape have a name?

She was built by a gentleman, by the name of Munro, that had a boat-cleaning business years ago in Perth, Australia between 10 and 15 years ago. Munro was in ill health and could not maintain the boat, so she is in neglected condition and no-one wanted to buy her, so the family advertised her for free and I was the first caller. (And delighted!)

She's moored in a river mouth and has not been used for 2 years. She was left open, has almost a foot of water in her and is covered with barnacles and muscles (yum - we eat again!). Last time the boat was emptied of water, it was checked for leaks and the conclusion was that it is rain that gets in.

Her ply floor is rotted into small pieces that float about in slightly oily water. She has two small solar panels on her roof, a dead bilge pump, ignition key turns, all wiring is corroded from exposure, 2x dead 12v batteries in series, radio, life jackets and 2x plastic funnels onboard!

She's powered by a 30HP Perkins inboard, steering is up front and the cast steering wheel is to the left. Two people can stand under the roof. In front is a small door and enough room for a man to crouch inside the bow compartment which is basically a box on the bow which is a good place to sit on outside, up front.

The upper deck woodwork is pristinely preserved by varnish and then old paint on top which is wearing thin, not flaking.

I can't identify her shape from pics on the www. Can you?

Also, does anyone have a Restoration Checklist or Project Plan to pass on that I can modify to suit the restoration of this project please?

Regards
    Pyxi

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've asked a buddy to drop in and see if he can ID your boat. Hes' on the eastern side of your island, but well versed.

3. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

Howdy PAR,

Thanks for inviting me over.

Howy PYXI

Perth is a long way away and I have never spent enough time there to know about the various builders, so I am not much use at all I am afraid.

However, Perth does have a maritime museum and the National Maritime Museum in Sydney is very active. I would suggest dropping them a line with some pics and what you know.

However, I am not sure if you don't have the whole story already.

If the boat cleaning chap built her ... then that is probably it. Self designed or a modification of a common local type. Built by a guy called Munro from what he had seen about.

The construction and some of the details does look like very trad construction for larger fishing boats.

If you could ferret out more information from the family about when it was built etc ... I think you will be more equipped to see if her design comes from somewhere else or was just from Mr Munro.

Best wishes
    Michael Storer

4. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.