Bringing boat to EU

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by siolaakis, Aug 5, 2005.

1. siolaakis

siolaakis Junior Member

:) Hi,
    I am planning to build a wooden sailboat about 33 feet long. The plan is to build her myself and in the USA,since I will be there for some years to come.After I am done with my work in USA (not boat building) I will most likely go back to Europe,where I come from.
    The question is: what do I need to know regarding the CE certification, VAT and other things when I want to bring my boat with me to Europe and have her there registered ? At the time of building my boat, I shall have a boatbuilding qualification and I intend to build her for myself to live on.Any information is very welcome. Thanks, Alois

Ps. I have posted this question on other forums too.

2. siolaakis

siolaakis Junior Member

So this is what I have find regarding CE certification from
    the IMCI website at www.imci.org

My boat would not be covered by the directive as stated in the excerpt below.
    3. The following shall be excluded from the scope of this Directive:
    (g) craft built for own use, provided that they are not subsequently placed on the Community market during a period of five years.
    Regarding VAT, I still need to look for more info.
    Thanks for all your information. Alois

3. Armada

Armada Junior Member

Regarding to the boats that you built yourself, there are no restriction for CE as long as they do not pass 15 meters. After the launch day you cannot sell it for the next 5 years. For registering and using a flag of any country, the VAT and other relevant taxes differs from country to country

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.