Plywood boat finished time for glass but a few questions first?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Wolfgang123, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

i forgot to add the wood blocks idea,watson is right construction glue by itself does nothing, but inbetween two tightly fitting pieces of wood clamped or screwed together it will be stronger then the wood.this will also give a pretty good seal.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The problem with construction adhesives is they're designed for static loading situations. Unfortunately, boats are anything but static loads, so these types of adhesives fail pretty quickly. Most construction adhesives also cost more than epoxy, but they can be handy and easy to apply. There are uses for these types of goo's in a tube, but I wouldn't use them in the structural elements, especially frame sans stringers, where flex and movement will be considerable. Holding cabinet trim in place is fine though.

3. Wolfgang123

Wolfgang123 Junior Member

1. Okay I am starting to get everything now. Thanks for all the help guys! I am a little pissed at myself as I thought I was headed in the right direction. So if I where to build a frame like in my original pictures it would be recommend to use epoxy as the "glue" then after assembly apply more epoxy and cloth for strength? Followed by proper sanding and painting? (I just want to make sure if I go back and do it again I do it right).

2. If I where to build yet again another boat without the use of epoxy or polyester at all what would be used to keep her as leak-proof as possible?

I really am learning a lot here guys and I will make sure to post up finished pictures.

4. Wolfgang123

5. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

plenty of backyard weekend boats built with constuction adhesive,mostly small boats thick plywood so not much bending going on.
    a lake i visit from time to time had one such boat that was there for anybody to use.it spent winters upside down on the shore covered in snow.the owner said it made it 8 seasons before it became fire wood.all it had was oil base house paint PL glue and screws.i think the key to this was the 3/4"plywood.

also price here is 5$ a small tube so maybe 3 tubes for said boat.

6. Wolfgang123

ALSO bedliner as paint??? i am assuming NO but are there any reasons? i feel like it would defintaly seal the wood and make it last longer but i am not sure on how it will react when submerged.

7. PAR

I'm not going to argue about the worthiness of home brew building techniques.

Bedliner would work as a paint and will seal the wood, even immersed on a dry sailed boat. This isn't a very cost effective way to go, but it will offer some protection.

That epoxy you've linked to isn't very economical either, try Marinepoxy at Bateau.com or talk to Paul over at Progressive Epoxy (epoxyproducts.com). Both offer lower cost, proven products.

Again and at $5 a tube (USA costs run about $7 - $8) for construction adhesives (typically 10 ounce cartridges), that's $62.50 a gallon at your price $87 and up for USA prices. You can epoxy for considerably less than that, even at full retail.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

My bet is that he doesn't need extra strength on the chines, but if he can get it while waterproofing the edges - then all the better.

As for 'getting in the water cheap', using epoxy wont add that much to the total cost, but it will reduce the aggro of repairs and fixes over the next few years, so it would be the cheapest way to go by far.

After the first few trips, and the excitement has worn off, there is nothing as upsetting as seeing how much better you could have made the boat with just a little bit more love and attention.

Its the old saying 'the quality is obvious long after the price is forgotten'

9. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

here in Canada a gallon of system 3 resin is 130$ the matching hardner is 80$ .even the cheaper resin like east is over 130$ a gallon with hardner.
    you guys down south have it made,epoxy and all the other goodies are so cheap.no wonder you guys recommend it over other glues.

10. Wolfgang123

yes i am not fiberglassing for strength but instead as a way to make the boat water tight....so i guess glassing is the way i will try to go, PAR can you link me to one of these lower priced retailers?

11. PAR

Marinepoxy at Bateau.com or try Progressive's stuff at epoxyproducts.com

12. Wolfgang123

Cool, well i think i am going to skip the glass this time around :( i will get it right on the next one!

SO paint? Just exterior house paint non oil-based was my plan but i figured since im here i might as well ask to make sure i get it right.

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Some like oil-based deck paints because they have some urethane in them. Latex will also work, without the nice finish. If you like a smooth glossy finish, use oil-based paint.
    The marine enamels are just about all oil-based urethane formulas. Theyt are the best of the one-part paints but they can cost $100.00 pert gallon. Petit makes a cheaper line for work boats with fewer color choices but I'm told othrwise the stuff is just as good. Maybe $25 a quart and $65 a gallon.

14. PAR

Rustoleum Topside Paint is about $12 a quart at full retail and pretty good stuff. It's not as glossy as some of the top dollar marine paints, but formulated similarly. It has limited color options, but you can mix them together and do a home brew custom color.

15. Wolfgang123

Thank you sir....i think i have all my questioned answered thanks guys! So i should have her done before fathers day i will make sure to through up some pictures. :D