resheeting of parts of bondwood hull

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by janbo2, Jun 8, 2012.

1. janbo2

janbo2 Junior Member

I am going to help a friend with a Randall 33' ex crayboat to re sheet part of the hull, as it has developed a leak along the keelson, where the ply butts on to it. The boat is approx. 40 years old, so we think it has rot in it. Would anyone have any experience of this type of work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a carpenter, but definitely not a shipwright.

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

this a common job in w.a because there are so many ply randalls & wards, mews, sambrailo's etc. you are better off re skinning the whole hull, you will find soft ply eveywhere. mark all the fastener lines on the outside of the hull and sand the screw and nail heads off with a 40 grit disc, then you can wrestle each sheet off and use them for patterns. make sure you have a good look at the frames, the keel should be fine because it will be jarrah, the ribs and stringers may be karri which can rot if rainwater gets to it. decide what adhesive you want, sealant / adhesive or epoxy glue. and screw the new sheets on and jobs done. it looks like a huge job but it is quite easy once you get into it. thats the good thing about ply, it covers a large area with each piece . good luck with it.

3. janbo2

janbo2 Junior Member

Thanks Brendan,
    I may have to call on you again, when we get started later on this months, as there is also some softness in the deck, due to the some of the below deck timbers having come loose. Grateful for your advice.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

no worry's, i am not a shipwright either but have a bit of experience with ply hulls, i had a randall once as well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.