Ballistic nylon 14 oz.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rasorinc, Nov 21, 2013.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

My plans call for 1/2" ply on the bottom. What about using 1/4" with a layer
    of 14 oz. ballistic nylon applied over using epoxy (if you can) Or using 3/8" ply with the same fabric. I know nothing about ballistic nylon.............Thanks Is there a way to compare it's strength and puncture resistance to fibergass materials? It seems to be priced about the same as S glass.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

It would be careful when reducing the panel thickness without increasing the frame spacing.

Fiber cloth on one side doesn't increase the panel stiffness by much....fiber on both sides, a sandwich will.

Dont know anything about nylon...sglass in pretty tough sheathing, well worth the expense. Ive only used light 6oz sglass on a small skiff....super tough, with the last coat of epoxy blended with graphite powder

For chafe resistance on a beach ,skid launch , tender ive been using 3 inch 6oz. uni directional tape ...fiber going fore and aft...on the keel and chine at the transom. Since the fibers are going in the direction of launch retrieve, not perpendicular, they dont chafe as bad.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I substitute sheathing for stiffness occasionally, if it works, usually trying to eliminate other structural elements. For example you can make a 1/4" piece of plywood as stiff as 3/8" with a couple of layers of 12 ounce biax, which can eliminate a stringer or two. This approach with 1/4" to get 1/2" properties wouldn't work, for the same weight, as the laminate would be heavier than just using 1/2" plywood.

I suspect puncture resistance would be good with ballistic nylon, but I doubt elongation modulus would be sufficient. To save money and weight, you might try 3/8" plywood, with a the biax and a ballistic nylon on the outside to improve abrasion and penetration resistance, though I'll bet spectra or Kevlar would do far better. It will epoxy well, I'll guess, but it's weight will be considerably more then more modern fabrics.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Thanks Michael and Par for your comments. I've considered the weight of this fabric and have rulled it out. Stan

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect