Plunging chine for a micro class sailboat : your opinion ?

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by vincentg38, Sep 15, 2013.

1. vincentg38

vincentg38 Junior Member

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and to boat design too. I'm currently thinking on a project for building a micro class proto sailboat. Probably made of plywood, therefore a hard chined hull. My question : I drew this "plunging chine" on the side of the boat.

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23026&cat=501

I find it quite aesthetic. But I wonder if, when the boat heels, this chine will alter his heading, luffing up or bearing away ? Thanks in advance for your advices.

Vincent

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Better if you show a section and explain what a plunging chine is.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum Vincent. I see you've found Free/DeftShip and are busy making boat like pictures. It's important to realize there's more to it, than computer modeled shapes. It's helpful to have an grasp of hydrodynamics. How much engineering and yacht design experience do you have? If this is limited, you should start at the shallow end of the pool, learn why boats are shaped the way they are, then develop your own shapes, based on this understanding of the physics and mechanics involved. As Alan has pointed out, the profile offers very little information about the hull, except it's unconventional chine line, which has obvious flaws underway. These will become apparent once you've gained some design understanding.

4. vincentg38

vincentg38 Junior Member

@ Alan
    "plunging chine" is a word I invented to say a chine that starts high at the stern, and ends low at the bow. Sorry if it was not clear (I'm french and my words are not totally reliable).
    I joined new pictures.

@ PAR
    I have no yacht design experience. And I agree, I have many, many, many things to learn. I understand that aesthetics is probably the last thing to consider if I want to design a good hull. I want to learn, I started to learn...
    You say that the unconventional chine line has obvious flaws. Can you help me and say what flaws ? I'm afraid that it acts as a brake when the boat heels.

Attached Files:

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Clearly you're experiencing and you have to learn several things, not on boats, but on the reality of things.
    The first thing to learn is that things, if they are not decorative ítems, are made to achieve certain ends with them. The ships also fall into this rule. We must design a boat to work in the most correct possible way and get the goals we have planned for her.
    It may be that your ship, which you think is aesthetically perfect, afloat in a ridiculous way serving as worldwide joke. So, in addition to aesthetics, it is good that you had in mind what you want the boat to.
    It is very normal for technically advanced vessels have also very good aesthetics.
    If you want the boat to decorate your library, then everything I just said makes no sense.

6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

also watch your terminology........ 'plunging' may not be an encouraging term. Might give people that 'sinking feeling'.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The wise course is to buy a few books on yacht design and construction. Once you have a handle on why thing do what they do and how to approach them structurally, you can then proceed to preliminary design studies. The book store here is a fine place to start.

8. Cacker

Cacker Junior Member

Why?

Why hard chaines? Look, this is plywood hull:

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      88.6 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      92 KB
      Views:
  9. Cacker

Cacker Junior Member

Proto

And i made cool proto design:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
  10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Before asking what others think of your model, why not explain why you did it that way and what you expect will be the result?

11. vincentg38

vincentg38 Junior Member

@Cacker : you're right, it's possible to build hull without hard chine in plywood. I saw here the Cox's Bay Skimmer by Gary Baigent :
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/design-software/26136d1223804666-predicting-plywood-bending-behavior-stitch-glue-design-img_1174.jpg
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/sailboats/25971d1223340048-ideal-18ft-daysailer-copy-img_1177.jpg
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/sailboats/25536d1222074175-ideal-18ft-daysailer-copy-img_1187.jpg
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/design-software/26133d1223760513-predicting-plywood-bending-behavior-stitch-glue-design-skimmer2.jpg
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/26820d1226435425-trailerable-daysailor-underway-copy-img_1234.jpg
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/sailboats/25969d1223339969-ideal-18ft-daysailer-img_1146.jpg
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/sailboats/25968d1223339960-ideal-18ft-daysailer-img_1145.jpg
    Impressive work of curved plywood !

Your 15 feet daysailer is very nice, too ! Good luck with it !

Your micro proto hull is interesting, but I wonder if the cabin has enough room for 3/4 berth, as required by the rules of the class ? It's the great problem of these boats : to preserve a big cockpit and 3/4 berth with enough room...

@others : thanks for your answers. I will learn now, as you have suggested. But I'm sad because nobody answered my real question...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

All ships in the world, if not as a shoe box, change the trim when heeling. How can you ask such a thing?.

13. Cacker

Cacker Junior Member

Completely! It`s know-how of accommodation in this hull. Cockpit is 3 meters long!

14. vincentg38

vincentg38 Junior Member

Sadly, I see that you do not know share your knowledge with a beginner without being offensive. Humbly sorry to bother you and have dared to ask a stupid question.

I am a computer instructor IRL, and am always happy when I can help someone to grow, responding quietly and simply to his questions...

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Dear friend, I do not want to offend anyone. I believe that with just a little thought you can figure out what I say. No need, in my opinion, have studies or do any calculations. Sorry you felt slighted, it was not my intention. Maybe I'm a bit rough with my expressions. Excuse me.